Hanging a door in an old house

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markymark

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am looking for professional hints and tips when trimming down a new ledge and brace door to fit a old framed opening. The opening is about an inch smaller in height and width and the opening is not square. What is the best way to hang a door like this. I assume I will need to keep the hinged side square to the ledge and cut the lock side out of square?? Sorry for the silly question but not sure if I am over complicating it as usual.

Mark

It depends how attached your are to the old frame. Having suffered putting a number of old doors into old frames in a previous property I'd fit a new frame with an old door these days.

Obviously dependant on the frame. I wouldn't pull out a load of off square frames unless they were rubbish.

Thanks Billy

I feel the walls and mortar are too loose to replace the frames. It would definitely be trying to fit the new door in the old frame. I have checked that the hinge side is vertical and it is. The top frame is out and the lock side is wider at the bottom than the top.

Mark

Hi Mark, personally I would want to remove an equal(ish) amount from all side, to retain the proportions, so if needed plane the hinge side first and then re-site the hinges. Offer-up the door to the frame, keeping the hinge-side tight, brace or get some one to hold it in place, then scribe the frame from the opposite side. I always use a pencil flat on the frame which gives around 2mm gap and still allows 1/2mm for tweaking.
HTH (if it makes sense) chris

Chris.

I suppose I am lost at the offering up to the frame bit. The door I have needs about 20mm off either long edge and 40mm off the bottom. I assume I cut the sides slightly larger than the opening and remove the door trim so I can sit it flush against the outside of the frame? Is that what you meant?

Mark

the simplest way is to get some help especially if you are not used to hanging doors
One person holds the door against the frame and on the otherside the other person draws around the frame onto the door ( allow 2mm all around clearance)
Plane the door to the marks then fit door and hardware

Roger

Great advice. After quite a lot of planing I managed to fit the door to the frame. Thanks for all
The advice. The frame was quite badly out of square but the door looks great.

Thank for all your advice.

Mark

Back