• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Hanger bolt? Mounting 1/4" threaded Sonos bookshelf speaker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a cheaper way to mount the Sonos Play:3 speakers we sell which come with a 1/4 threaded mount hole. We can sell an special mount but it's expensive and I've seen in the US "hanger bolts" with a 1/4" bolt on one end and a screw thread on the other. But can't find them in the UK?

Anyone know where I could get them or another cheaper alternative?

Many thanks

Gidon

9fingers

Established Member
Reaction score
The speaker will probably have a 1/4" UNC thread. The eBay screws
are most likely to be Whitworth threads which have a different flank angle
Some will fit ok but check before buying a big stock
Bob

xy mosian

Established Member
Reaction score
If the screw/bolt is in the wall... and the threaded hole is in the speaker cabinet.
Which one are you going to turn around?
Speaker or wall?

xy
Sorry couldn't find smlies, I was smiling.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
Following on from Bob's comment above, 1/4" and 3/8" Whitworth are both in common use in the entertainment industry - 1/4" Whit is camera (tripod) thread, and 3/8" Whit is European microphone stand thread (and for video cameras, portable lights and larger stills cameras too). Ironically, the Americans use a seriously odd thread for microphones*. As far as I know there is no metric thread for either mics or cameras in general use.

It's common for professional self-powered monitor speakers to have a 3/8" Whit threaded socket (sometimes two), so they can be mounted on mic stands. I've never seen one with a 1/4" socket, as it's not strong enough really.

I hesitate to ask, but if it's really 1/4" what is the socket intended for, or are these speakers really much smaller than they look?

Cheers,

E.
*5/8" 27TPI with 26TPI although I can't for the life of me remember which is for male and which for female use - basically both are nasty! This is the most common amateur thread though, largely thanks to Japanese and Taiwanese imports from the 1970s onwards.

m1ke_a

Established Member
Reaction score
1/4 20 is a standard thread for cameras (3/8 16 for larger kit and tripods).

You'll be able to get connecting studs/ spigots / whatever from all sorts of photographic suppliers, and if you want to go OTT have a look at such places as Hagues