Handmade Cross Cut Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Just after Christmas when I did the Great Dorset Plane Sale, I did a deal with Pedder (forum member) in Germany, one of my planes for a handmade saw of my choosing.

http://pedder-altedamenauskiel.blogspot.com/

The saw arrived today and I have to say I am ecstatic it is really top quality. I wasn't aware that it's just a hobby, so hats off to Pedder.

Click to enlarge.

The handle has been made to fit my hand, something you don't get with LN, LV etc.
It really fits like a glove and is so comfortable to use.

Martin was in the workshop when the saw arrived, so we had to give it a test run. We choose a Style & Bates and an LN, both cross cuts as the comparisons.
As you can imagine the S&B was nothing compared to the LN and the Pedder, between the Pedder and the LN we both felt that there was no significant difference, therefore we think the Pedder is certainly equal to the LN. It would have been nice to have a Wensloff on hand for comparison, but alas one doesn't grace my workshop.

Another nice touch is that the tool for the split nuts comes with the saw.

For anyone thinking of investing in a really first class saw then I would recommend a Pedder saw.
I'll certainly be trawling through the website to see what else I can order.

hi tony

that looks nice what is it about 16 " in length about 4" maybe 5" in depth big and chunky you'll never where that out in your life time mate but have a good try though . hc

Waka,

What a lovely looking saw. I could be tempted.. A few questions though.

Please let us know the size, (dimensions, incl. sawplate thickness and set), tpi etc. Did you send him a Xerox of your hand for sizing or something else?

How is the back fixed to the sawplate? Is the back, bent or machined and from what material?

Are woods for the handle a matter of choice?

Is the blade tensioned?

Sorry to be a nerd but I suspect it won't be very cheap!

Hi Waka,

I'm really glad she made the way. You made some good looking pictures of her. Will she hang near to the Sauer & Steiner planes? That would make us (Klaus and me) really proud.

Now put her to some real wood:
Here's a blurred picture while I tested her on 5cm (2") oak.
P1050459.JPG

She wasn't finished at that time.

Cheers Pedder

That looks very nice. You've done a great job, Pedder. :)

I'm trying to making a saw handle at the minute for my Atkinson Walker dovetail saw kit and I know how difficult it is (especially as I'm trying to "adapt" one of the drawings from Tools for Working Wood... :oops:).

Hi Chris,

Glad you like her. Let me try to answer
Chris Knight":2yom6dvc said:
Please let us know the size, (dimensions, incl. sawplate thickness and set), tpi etc.
Length: 16" (40cm)
High: approx. 4" (10cm) (I had to recut the teeth)
Thickness: 0.020" / 0,5mm
12 tpi
20° rake
25° fleam
I did not take the measure of set. Sorry.

Did you send him a Xerox of your hand for sizing or something else?
If Klaus makes the handle, he asks three measures of the hand. But I was lazy at that so I asked Waka, how he likes the veritas dovetail saw.

Are woods for the handle a matter of choice?
Certainly. Wood is American walnut

How is the back fixed to the sawplate? Is the back, bent or machined and from what material?
It is a slotted brass (MS58) spine. We glue the saw blade into the slot.
Screws and splitnuts from stainless steel (V2va)

Is the blade tensioned?
No. How would you do that? I was taught, that there is no way to tension or to stiffen a blade. But every hint is welcome.

Sorry to be a nerd but I suspect it won't be very cheap!

Glad you ask that!

The short answer is:

No. :lol:

Under no aspect. :lol:

The long answer:

We don't claim to make cheap saws. Sawmaking is a hobby for us and we would have to hurry to make cheap saws. We don't want to hurry in our spare time. The goal is to make the best saws we can do.

Cheers
Pedder

OPJ":1hvxmuyq said:

I'm trying to making a saw handle at the minute for my Atkinson Walker dovetail saw kit and I know how difficult it is (especially as I'm trying to "adapt" one of the drawings from Tools for Working Wood.

Thanks, I got a preworked blank from Klaus for this handle so it was easy for me. Cutting the slot for the blade and the spine is the most difficult part of the job.

The handles from Joel are superb, but if the saw is heavier than his, i would recommend to lower the hang angle. Don't ask how I know. :wink:

Cheers
Pedder

OPJ":3ugezpca said:

I'm trying to making a saw handle at the minute for my Atkinson Walker dovetail saw kit and I know how difficult it is (especially as I'm trying to "adapt" one of the drawings from Tools for Working Wood... :oops:).

You may find something os use in this thread I did recently on the other side

http://www.woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/viewt ... f=5&t=3190

Hallo Waka,

I can only underline you statement. Klaus and Pedder manufacture wonderful saws. Klaus understands how to treat a handle to fit your hand and Pedder is very skilful saw sharpener. Together they form a marvellous team. I do not wish to highjack your treath but when I got my last saw delivered by Pedder I had the chance to test "your" saw. But please have a look as we took some photos:

http://holzzeitung.blogspot.com/2010/02 ... 22010.html

I am afraid it is only in German but there is a button for translation.

Bernhard

OPJ":1vheec2x said:

Olly, you might find this series of pictures taken from Mike Wenzloff's blog helpful http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/saws/kit ... index.html

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I got a Pedder saw from the first Secret Santa, very humbled and pleased to receive it and it's a great saw.

Looks like you have a good one too Waka

Brian and Paul - thank you for those links. :) I'm making two at the same time, just in case I happen to balls one up (if not both of them!)... :oops: :wink:

OPJ":3otx1qsr said:
I'm making two at the same time, just in case I happen to balls one up (if not both of them!)... :oops: :wink:

I'm sure they will turn out fine, Olly - post some pics when you're done :)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I, too, received a Pedder Dovetail saw as my Secret Santa pressie - it is awesome, and I'm thrilled with it!
Glad to see you're keeping up the good work,
Best regards
Philly :D

Paul Chapman":1ydepuv6 said:
I'm sure they will turn out fine, Olly - post some pics when you're done :)

Well, since you asked for a photo:

4432961094_467773b786.jpg

I finished these off yesterday and this is how they were looking after the first coat of Danish oil. Once I've finished polishing, I'll take another photo of the one I choose to fit to the saw (I already know which one that'll be... :oops:).

They're made from brown oak. Not a traditional choice but, I didn't have any beech offcuts the right size. I've got some nice English walnut at college and I'll try and save some of that for my final handle at a later date. :wink:

I was right to make a spare one though... :oops:

4432179969_bb7cbe981c.jpg

My marking out and drilling on one of them wasn't quite as perfect as I had hoped. Please ignore the slight difference in shape between the two handles - the Gramercy template wasn't a perfect match for my Atkinson Walker saw and I don't have a rasp small enough for some of the finer detailing so, I had to botch it a bit! :)

:D

Whoops that hole looked very close to the edge!

I made a couple of Gramercy kit saws but found the handles were more comfortable with more rounding off:

gramerysaws8.jpg

Here's one I did for a cheapo Crown Dovetail:

saws2ci5.jpg

Sorry about image size.

Rod

Back