Handle for an adze for making a bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joschua

Reaction score
Hey there,
I am not quite sure if this is the right place to post this topic here. Please tell me, if there is a better place to discuss this topic.
I like to restore an old adze for carving wooden bowls.
I am not yet sure how to bring the handle into shape and which shape.
I posted a sketch to better understand my idea.
The knuckles of my fist should be parallel to the bevel. The center of my wrist should be between the bevel and the eye of the adze to have the best use of the biomechanics of the wrist.
Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_4743.jpg
    IMG_4743.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 0
  • sketch_adze.JPG
    sketch_adze.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 0
Hey there,
I am not quite sure if this is the right place to post this topic here. Please tell me, if there is a better place to discuss this topic.
I like to restore an old adze for carving wooden bowls.
I am not yet sure how to bring the handle into shape and which shape.
I posted a sketch to better understand my idea.
The knuckles of my fist should be parallel to the bevel. The center of my wrist should be between the bevel and the eye of the adze to have the best use of the biomechanics of the wrist.
Thank you for your help.
I think you are over thinking it.
A straightish bit of hedgerow ash or similar will do.
You can then refine it as you see fit. Have a look at some pictures adze - Google Search

Defiantly not as in your sketch. The first picture may work. Difficult to say without using the adze as the geometry between bevel and handle is very important, get it wrong and the adze will not work efficiently. As suggested try a straight handle and make it a bit longer and see where the adze works best when you grip it in different places along its length.

Latest posts

Back