Hand Tool Inspirational reading

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

My parents constantly be-moan the fact that I am the child who "has it all", and they struggle for ideas for presents for birthdays/xmas etc.

Anyway, I thought a few books would be the order of the day, and wondered what reading has inspired others. I already have DC's books 1&2, Tage Frid, a few Krenov, etc etc. I have also got "The seven essentials of Woodworking" by Anthony Guidice. I found the writing very inspiring - although I must say that the close up shots of his work are somewhat shoddy (anybody who has the book will know what I mean - see pages 95 (bridle joint) and 113 (dovetails)).

I am also open to DVD suggestions - got the first 3 DC DVDs. My dad phoned to order them and spoke to DC - when he got them in the post, he obviously saw DC's face on the cover and proclaimed "he looks exactly how he sounds"! True story.

Anyway, I await your recommendations.

Cheers

Karl

One of the best books I've ever read is "Cabinet Making - The Professional Approach" by Alan Peters. Been out of print for some years but I've heard that it's being updated and re-printed some time this year.

A bit different from your average woodworking book but I found it really inspirational.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Karl
Chris Schwarz DVD's are excellent - very informative and presented with insight and passion. "Coarse, Medium, Fine" is a favourite of mine.
Oh, and how about Rob Cosmans DVD's whilst we are on the subject? Another very talented and persuasive craftsman - if you have ever seen him in person you'll know what I mean. Few walk without a new dovetail saw.... :lol:
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Hi,

I reccomend the DVDs from Frank Klausz.

They have completly changed the way I work and think of woodworking.

CWR

I can highly recommend Jim Kingshott's DVDs - there's 4 of them.

Also Garrett Hack's - Classic Hand Tools and The Handplane Book

Leonard Lee's The Complete Guide to Sharpening

Rod

Thanks for all your replies - we seem to be heavy on DVD's - you are a lazy bunch :lol: Has anybody got any they wish to sell?????

Paul C - a quick check on E-bay revealed one copy of the Alan Peters book you recommended - Get Fleeced Now for over £60! Will have to wait for the re-print.

Cheers

Karl

karl":tidkq1im said:
Paul C - a quick check on E-bay revealed one copy of the Alan Peters book you recommended - Get Fleeced Now for over £60! Will have to wait for the re-print.

Yes, far too much to pay - I'm waiting for the re-print as well.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Harbo":2lgy1e4q said:
I can highly recommend Jim Kingshott's DVDs - there's 4 of them.

Rod

Hi Harbo
Where did you manage to track these down? Bizarrely I have only seen them advertised on the other side of the pond.

Andrew

Yes from across the pond I am afraid:

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/

They cost $15.96 each so good value. Joe sent them USPS air so slipped under the net. Postage was not a lot from memorary?
I also bought one on saw sharpening byTom Law which is even cheaper!

Rod

Latest posts

Back