Hand saw identification help needed !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob1713

Established Member
Reaction score
This saw came in a job lot of tools that I bought recently. It seems to be hand forged. It looks like the previous owner has wheel polished the iron frame but the handle shows some considerable age. There is no makers name upon it and the brass nut holding the adjuster is not contemporary.
I would welcome any views on its age or use.
Thanks
Rob

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 749
Thanks for the quick reply and identification BB. I thought it looked like it had been made by a blacksmith due to the fine decorative curly tail, though the handle is identical to those on some of the other pics on Google which suggests it's made by a saw maker.
I'm not sure if the mottled finish is due to someone sandblasting it or whether it was always like that. Either way it's a nice tool, all I need to do now is find a period hacksaw blade and wing nut. (Not that it's ever going to be used to cut steel again,) I think it deserves a peaceful retirement.
Thanks again

rob1713":3b3ew2ke said:
Thanks for the quick reply and identification BB. I thought it looked like it had been made by a blacksmith due to the fine decorative curly tail, though the handle is identical to those on some of the other pics on Google which suggests it's made by a saw maker.
I'm not sure if the mottled finish is due to someone sandblasting it or whether it was always like that. Either way it's a nice tool, all I need to do now is find a period hacksaw blade and wing nut. (Not that it's ever going to be used to cut steel again,) I think it deserves a peaceful retirement.
Thanks again

The mottled finish is deep rust followed by cleaning.

BugBear

Bod":31xpiyoe said:
What length of blade will it need?

Bod

Well, using the ruler as a scale (reasonable) the holes are currently 7.35 " apart. From the
handle hole to the inner side of the far frame is just under 8".

It looks like you'd want a blade with holes around 7.5"

Good luck finding that!

BugBear

I picked an old hacksaw last summer that uses 8" blades. Andy T was kind enough to send me a couple he had spare but I had no luck sourcing them new. If you do find somewhere I'd be glad to know. The size is good, it's a shame they stopped supplying them. I find it a little more accurate, think crossover between a junior and full size. It has its place. I have cut down a couple of blades but it's a pita and no doubt not the look you want for your retired Gent there.
Cheers
Chris

The thread about Chris's little saw is here
anyone-used-trojans-i-have-this-need-for-a-good-9-inch-size-t100058.html

Sadly, my collection of old blades doesn't include anything to suit your very nice Lancashire pattern hacksaw. I think it probably predates even the wider choice of standard sizes that used to be on offer.

If I were you, I'd be tempted to try shortening a longer blade and making a hole in it. I've not needed to do that, but there are two approaches I've seen suggested. One is to use a blunt drill in a drill press and work up enough friction to take the temper out of the blade, ie red hot - don't rely on holding the blade in one hand!
The other is to use a cobalt drill, which can allegedly drill quite hard steel.

Either would work better on a blade which is not the "all-hard" type.

Alternatively, a length of bandsaw blade might be easier to work and would at least make it look like a saw.

Thanks for all your input.
The adjustment range from hole to hole measure from 190mm - 200mm, so an 8" blade will be just to long.
I have used cobalt drills and they are very hard but I've never tried to drill a hacksaw blade.
I think I will cut down some old bandsaw blade and fit it just for show. I will keep my eyes open through all the other rubbish that comes with the tools I buy at auctions for any odd size hacksaw blades.
Thanks again

Latest posts

Back