Hand PLanes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin Wilding

Reaction score
Hi People
Off to the show this weekend at Harrogate and ithought of buying LN No9
or Veritas low angle jack plane for use with my shooting board and i was wondering whether anybody has any thoughts.

cheers Colin :D

Colin

I use the No 9 LN which is specifically designed for thre shooting board, personnally I think its the better of the two for the shooting board, you won't be dissapointed.

Hi Colin - I have both. If you want a plane specifically for the shooter, then it has to be the LN No9, but the LV LA jack is perfectly acceptable on it's side and can also be used a general bench plane. My advice would be to buy both! - Rob

Hi Colin

I have a Philly Mitre plane - I rate it that highly that I sold my LN no 9 :eek:

Cheers

Karl

I have the No9, previously I was using the Veritas BUS which was good, but the No9 is miles better. It does exactly what it's meant to.

Colin,

I have been doing quite a bit of shooting board work recently and have been really pleased with the results from my LN low angle jack plane which is also my plane of choice for other jobs, worth considering if flexibility is a consideration. I will be looking to see what these 'hot dog' attachments are like for the LN-62 when I go to the show this weekend.

cheers

Andy

Hi Lads thanks for that i am now confused i would like to buy both but i dont think the wife would let me. Karl i was thinking about the philly but cant make my mind up

cheers colin

Colin Wilding":20siksl8 said:
Hi Lads thanks for that i am now confused i would like to buy both but i dont think the wife would let me. Karl i was thinking about the philly but cant make my mind up

cheers colin

Colin - if you want a plane to do the lot (general bench work and for use on the shoot) then then LV LA jack is the one to go for - Rob

Colin Wilding":m7f1ho5g said:
I have just been looking at the LV No9 and TILGEAR seemto be selling it a lot cheaper than anybody else
Just remember all of Tilgears prices are plus VAT. :evil:

Colin Wilding":qr8xozc4 said:
Hi People
Off to the show this weekend at Harrogate and ithought of buying LN No9
or Veritas low angle jack plane for use with my shooting board and i was wondering whether anybody has any thoughts.

cheers Colin :D

Yeah. This:

http://www.phillyplanes.co.uk/miter.htm

Although the Veritas LA jack is more versatile.

If you ask Philly nicely, he'll quote you for a skewed mitre plane, which I suspect would perform even better.

http://philsville.blogspot.com/2008/11/ ... iends.html

(psst - Philly - are you going to make the skewed mitre a "list" item?)

BugBear

(*) BTW - you're British, and (thus) it's "mitre" not "miter"

BB
Thanks - the Skew Miter is going to be a standard item. Just need to make one in Gonc to photograph properly. The Skew means a lot of extra work for me but makes for a unique plane - the Blackwood Skew Miter I took to America made a huge impression :D

As for the spelling of Mitre/Miter, I took a lot of inspiration from US planes so went with that spelling. I can make you a Mitre for the same money, though :wink:

Cheers
Philly :D

wizer":3o1b1m5k said:
I have the No9, previously I was using the Veritas BUS which was good, but the No9 is miles better
The BUS would have been interesting on the shooting board... :wink:

Cheers. Vann

Philly":2cylyklc said:
BB
Thanks - the Skew Miter is going to be a standard item. Just need to make one in Gonc to photograph properly. The Skew means a lot of extra work for me

Not the same price as the normal mitre then :-(

BugBear

Hey Philly. Your Mitre plane got a mention on Wood Talk Online. Right near the end of the show. It's brief, but it's a mention ;)

Back