Hand plane spares

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBen

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question but I'm stuck for answers.

I've got an old Stanley handyman plane (No4?) amongst others but it has a broken adjustment knob.

I've searched eBay and google for a replacement but either it's not called that or I'm looking in the wrong place.

I can see replacement handles etc but not the adjustment knob.

On this one it's made of plastic and has split. The ones on my other planes have a different thread.

The Stanley looks like an M8 thread.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

The Stanley catalogue has spares listed, though with shipping from the states included (if I remember correctly you can only get the spares from the states but may be wrong), it is likely that the cost will be prohibitive.

If your lucky someone on here may have a spare they are willing to donate.

Can you find a replacement frog anywhere? Or as someone else suggested an old plane off eBay may be the cheapest way to go ....

Johm

I agree, get shot of the handy man or keep it for spare in the future and get one of the bay for next to nothing a no5 is a good all rounder and can be had for next to nothing,
Wrong time of year but carboots are where the gems are if you are the first there.
There is a saying:
"The early bird gets the worm"
Good luck
Or if you want I have an old acorn no4 that you can have you just pay postage, there is what your looking for on that and I believe the thread is the same
TT

Thanks for the comments.

I'm quite surprised at the throw away comments though.

I don't often use hand tools (partly because I don't really how to use them to their potential) so it's not top of my list.

It still works just a bit awkward.
I will have a look at some car boots in the spring.

I've got one rotting in the garage,

You're more than welcome to any of the bits on it if you want, you're probably quite local to me as well

Cheers James

benjimano":3h41hnf2 said:
I'm quite surprised at the throw away comments...

I will have a look at some car boots in the spring.
The Stanley Handiman series weren't particularly good to start with. If yours has a metric thread then it's very recent - which is when Stanley's quality control was rock-bottom.

And there are very few metric one about, so the chances of picking up the spare part you want are poor.

Hence the "throw away" comments. But keep the irons and the lever-cap for spares (though even the cutting iron is probably cr#p, but try it first - just in case it's not).

Cheers, Vann.

Tony Spear":ho38dahh said:
That's all very well, but where do I get an adjusting nut and spindle for my Record 077? :(

From another 077 in worse condition than yours, from eBay, from a second hand tool dealer with an assortment of spares, or by making one yourself.

Back