Hand plane or wooden mouse?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I know, I know, it gets a bit boring if the forum drowns in 'look at this on eBay' messages, but I'm puzzled and hoping for help in satisfying my curiosity. There's an odd assortment of bits on offer on eBay here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180402577238

(sorry but I can't work out how to embed an ebay image now they've changed it)

According to the seller, one of the items is a Stanley plane. It looks more like a wooden mouse to me!

Anyone know what this really is? I'd risk 99p but not the £8 postage.

Andy

Hmm... not sure about the mouse/plane but the metal implement in the main picture is a nutcracker. Not sure what bit of carpentry a nutcracker is routinely used for....

The seller doesn't know what a melon baller is!

Stanley (London) is not related to Stanley (New Britain).

BugBear

Nobody bought this junk - perhaps not everything that says Stanley is a plane!

So (Bugbear) who were Stanley (London)?

I think that this item is a weight used for holding down sheets of drawing paper during draughting.
The metal appears to be lead painted blak with an applied wooden 'sole'.
My two pennorth only.... :)
Cheers,
Martin

mahking51":2dq92tg0 said:
I think that this item is a weight used for holding down sheets of drawing paper during draughting.
The metal appears to be lead painted blak with an applied wooden 'sole'.
My two pennorth only.... :)
Cheers,
Martin

I think it's a spline weight.

BugBear

Thanks guys - I reckon Mahking and Bugbear must be right, and I now know what a spline weight is.
It fits with what the puzzled seller wrote in reply to someone's question - that it weighed about 800g.

I'm glad I didn't buy it - especially now I know that spline weights are no good unless you have a couple of dozen!

Cheers

Andy

Back