Lazurus Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Derek, I'm with you on your comments.
I suspect this is the result of designing it in a CAD package, spending hours looking at it, as against spending time working with it, holding it in your hands and making adjustments which help with the way it would be held and used.
It would be too cynical to say it was designed just to be photographed and collected - though that's a possibilty - it would help to hear evidence from someone who owns one and can comment on whether its innovations help make it a functional tool.

Well, it went for £800. I guess we have to assume that being a craftsman and a woodworker as well, the guy who made it actually knows a bit about the subject and has not gone to all that trouble to make something that is not fit for purpose as well as being very nice to look at... but without anyone actually trying it, who knows?

Unless you want to shell out thousands for a Holtey, there is a gap in the market at that sort of price for something as nicely made as that. When you are happy to pay £400 for bronze Lie Nielsen, its not such a big step to £800 for what is essentially a custom made unique plane like that.

Still, I think the guy needs encouraging even though they dont seem to be available here..

Cheers, Mark

This plane looks like a serious amount of engineering! - Nicely done from the pics - agree depends how it actually works. Another interesting one in this price range is Ray Isles infill - he used to sell it for a silly £395 (told me he couldn't make money on it, no surprise). I notice Tools for Working Wood now list it at $995 (out of stock). I believe it has been rated highly here before. But I agree a good medium size infill at around £700 - 800 begins to look appealing... the C&C and Holtey are out of reach - I'd be scared to actually use a Holtey!

, its not such a big step to £800 for what is essentially a custom made unique plane like that.

... except that with 2.7% duty, 20% VAT + shipping charges it's going to be over £1000 :(

Hi,

I would expect something better than a cheap pine box for that amount of money, it’s like something you would bury the hamster in.

Pete

This is very much a personal thing but I feel that the concept of the infill plane was simplicity (if you ignore the dovetails for a moment!).

Whilst I appreciate the engineering I just think there is a time and place for it and overengineering is something that can easily result.

There is something beautiful about the simplicity of vintage infills that few have been able to emulate....those that have like S&S are continuing the tradition in a perfect way.

That's where my money would go....otherwise I would rather buy a hamster and splash out on an oak coffin when the time came! :mrgreen:

Jim

markturner":olsrw2hj said:
Unless you want to shell out thousands for a Holtey, there is a gap in the market at that sort of price for something as nicely made as that. When you are happy to pay £400 for bronze Lie Nielsen, its not such a big step to £800 for what is essentially a custom made unique plane like that.

One option here for a Norris-alike at £318 each, and try before you buy:

IMG_3584.jpg

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums...ies-or-kits-t42651.html?hilit= bristol design

Back