Hand made kitchens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roman

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to install a fairly traditional painted kitchen this year probably from handmadekitchens-direct.co.uk. Has anyone got experience of this company? I'm impressed with what I've seen so far but would appreciate further info and recommendations of alternatives. I have noticed that not everyone goes with the practice of tulipwood with mdf which is their preferred method of manufacture. Costs are otherwise kept down by using flush hinges and leaving the finish to the customer.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know of handmade kitchens but i know a someone who makes and installs bespoke kitchens for a living.He uses tulipwood and MR MDF for the doors.

Hi roman.

I know of HMK, I'm from the same area and have fitted them in the past and found them to be good quality units.

As regards tulipwood. This is a grand name derived from the States for American Whitewood, which is very common and also called Tulipwood Poplar (from its Latin name Liriodendron Tulipifera). Lots of people 'dress it up' as tulipwood, tho it's not the same as Tulipwood which is very dense and expensive and from Burma... confused?

Tulip/Poplar has advantages as it's stable, easy to work and finish and unlike mdf doesn't have fluffy edges. It's widely used and is no softer than pine.

The main issues are generally down to the quality of the mdf (some are the texture of weetabix) and the overall finishing process.

Now, not sure if I'm allowed to say this, but I'm in the process of setting up something similar, tho not just for kitchens. I shall be looking for initial clients to help with photos etc in return for a special cost rate. Do you have a time frame in mind and would you be interested in helping?

Hope this helps and that I haven't offended anyone by my advances.

Sean

Latest posts

Back