hand electric Planers buying advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They certainly have their uses - just as long as you don't expect them to straighten a long edge as easily as you would with a floor-standing surface planer or jointer! ;-) I've mostly used mine for cleaning up edges I've already cut straight with a circular (I don't yet have a plunge saw), mainly in thicker stuff that's too long or too heavy to feed over a planer. It largely depends on the work you do but, they can also be used for chamfers, bevelling, rebating, etc. on a larger scale.

The OP hasn't really indicated what he wants to do with it, so if he's expecting to use one for planing rough sawn stock square for joinery and furniture projects then he'll definitely be disappointed!
They are good for fast removal of stock such as shooting a big amount off of a door before finishing with a hand plane, or fast shaping - i've used them for fairing in boat planking etc. They are more a site tool than a workshop tool that's for sure.
I've got an old Bosch blue one from about 15 years back that seems to go on forever. One thing i'd recommend is a parking shoe though, mine doesn't have one so you have wait for it to stop, or make sure the cutters are up off the floor before you put it down.

cheers,
Andy

I have a monster of a makita that`s paid for itself so many times planing down cheap crossgrained dung lipped doors that we`ve fitted on site and I use it in the shop for recycling timber. Beats the hell out of chunks missing out of my planer thicknesser blades.
All the best
Rob
Apparently pineapple is a euphemism for what I described the doors as.

Had them all over the years i found dewalt too heavy, festool worst machine ever, makita cant seem to get a parralell cut, the best one i have ever used i my opinion its got to be a bosch cleanest most parralel cut good even weight reasonably priced will go on for years i have a 18V one for light work and 110v for heavier applications.

Back