Hancock's Half Hour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trainee neophyte":14nr6rya said:
.... but anything I wrote yesterday may be even more incoherent than usual.

We got it all sorted in the end, I think. The sausages were excellent.

I didn't notice anything different Tn :lol: :lol: :lol: Only joking!

Serious question - presumably the ladies were speaking English and not Greek?

Blackswanwood":3dvw4u1b said:
Trainee neophyte":3dvw4u1b said:
.... but anything I wrote yesterday may be even more incoherent than usual.

We got it all sorted in the end, I think. The sausages were excellent.

I didn't notice anything different Tn :lol: :lol: :lol: Only joking!

Serious question - presumably the ladies were speaking English and not Greek?

It was HSBC - that bastion of truth, honesty and rigidly upright banking. (Also known as chief purveyors of money-laundering services to international swindlers and drug dealers since the Opium Wars).

But extraordinarily polite ladies in India: even though they can't actually help, it's always a pleasure to talk to them.

Trainee neophyte":2d5ofq5q said:
But extraordinarily polite ladies in India: even though they can't actually help, it's always a pleasure to talk to them.

I know what you mean. I pulled a call centre in India and moved it back to the UK - head tells me it was the right thing to do but I felt terrible as the people so wanted to do a good job and would never be anything but friendly and polite to customers.

Blackswanwood":2e0l48v2 said:
Trainee neophyte":2e0l48v2 said:

I know what you mean. I pulled a call centre in India and moved it back to the UK - head tells me it was the right thing to do but I felt terrible as the people so wanted to do a good job and would never be anything but friendly and polite to customers.

Indeed. I love the country and the people.

We have several very nice Indian friends but I had the opposite experience when BT had their call centres in India and on 2 separate occasions when having serious connection issues I got male operatives who were quite rude. I was very polite despite having explained over and over again as requested but getting the same suggestions which had all previously failed. One of them who had very broken English actually said " can you not understand English sir?" at which point I said forget it and I emailed the BT chief exec who got it sorted.

My mate, then a BT manager said relocating call centres was one of the worst decisions they ever made as they lost customers in droves.

Blackswanwood":tcrohrr4 said:
Trainee neophyte":tcrohrr4 said:

I should have made clear that while I've had conversations with some delightful people (by their accents Indian) it was the ill-managed nature of the systems imposed upon them which was usually the obstacle to getting anything done.

And in other news..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... r-53381802

I know exactly where this farm is. In direct line of sight from our old place :eek: Scary thing is that the pickers would be down in the village at a weekend waiting for the bus to take them to Ledbury, Hereford, Malvern or Worcester.

A S Green.png

Attachments

• A S Green.png
    A S Green.png
    2 MB · Views: 118
RogerS":2muqz0pz said:
And in other news..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... r-53381802

I know exactly where this farm is. In direct line of sight from our old place :eek: Scary thing is that the pickers would be down in the village at a weekend waiting for the bus to take them to Ledbury, Hereford, Malvern or Worcester.

Sorry Roger but I fail to see what you are trying to say here?

£3 billion for the NHS to try to cope this winter.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53438486
I can't see any reason why there won't be a large surge of the virus through the winter months and can't help but picture the current lull as being like the eye of a hurricane.
Hopeful news on a vaccine, we'll see but it looks like it won't make a difference this winter:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53426367

Time to stock up on wood for those upcoming lock-down projects, and anything else that needs doing? I think so.

Chris152":18nr6z09 said:
£3 billion for the NHS to try to cope this winter.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53438486
I can't see any reason why there won't be a large surge of the virus through the winter months and can't help but picture the current lull as being like the eye of a hurricane.
Hopeful news on a vaccine, we'll see but it looks like it won't make a difference this winter:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53426367

Time to stock up on wood for those upcoming lock-down projects, and anything else that needs doing? I think so.

I'll make my prediction now. This winter C19 will replace flu as the major cause of winter deaths however due to the excess deaths we have already seen this year I think it will be a fairly quiet winter. The media will scream blue murder but the actual numbers will be comparable or lower than a bad flu season would normally be. Maybe 1000 deaths a week or so in the worst bits.

Reading local facebook rubbish, looks like the doom mongers actually are hoping for a second wave so they can be proved right and some even talking about projects they are going to do (house renovation etc) with positive glee and not sending kids back to a death trap, makes me feel sick.

Next thing will be panic buying again, we never seem to learn................. anyway off to buy a 1000 bog rolls and 2 pallets of pasta.

doctor Bob":2znyal6t said:
Reading local facebook rubbish, looks like the doom mongers actually are hoping for a second wave so they can be proved right and some even talking about projects they are going to do (house renovation etc) with positive glee and not sending kids back to a death trap, makes me feel sick.

Next thing will be panic buying again, we never seem to learn................. anyway off to buy a 1000 bog rolls and 2 pallets of pasta.

Your facebook is very similar to my own then, they are chomping at the bit to be proved right and loudly boasting how they aren't going to shops and pubs while in other posts decrying the demise of the highstreet.

I've luckily avoided all the virus nonsense on facebook, but instead I seem to have a lot of White Lives Matter posts - what this says about the people I know I'd rather not think about.

Seems hard to avoid a second wave, or a third, in fact it's going to keep coming back until it can be eradicated which certainly doesn't look like something that's happening within the next year or so.

No doubt it's going to have a long-lasting impact on society though. I've not really gone out since I returned to the UK in late March, and to be honest I've been perfectly happy and saved a hell of a lot of money. I'm not going to pubs or shops, but then again I think the high street concept is dead on its feet and all these attempts to save it are about as relevant as saving red telephone boxes, windmills, and coalmines.

As a matter of curiosity - what's wrong with White Lives Matter? Or Yellow Lives? Or Brown Lives? If one is OK, why aren't the others? Why is it legal to have an Association of Black Police Officers, Lawyers, Engineers, Probation Officers etc. and not Asssociations of White ones? Why are there no Heterosexual Pride marches?

Phil Pascoe":3u2dmjf5 said:
As a matter of curiosity - what's wrong with White Lives Matter? Or Yellow Lives? Or Brown Lives? If one is OK, why aren't the others? Why is it legal to have an Association of Black Police Officers, Lawyers, Engineers, Probation Officers etc. and not Asssociations of White ones? Why are there no Heterosexual Pride marches?

I understand your concept, however if you look at the big picture it is generally minorities that are picked on, as a result the majority look a bit foolish if they start to complain about their lot.
When I say foolish I mean "twatish"..................

I'm sure if you feel strongly you could march down your high street declaring your hetrosexuality, this is how gay pride started, so go for it Phil.

In short it's because nobody's ever said white lives don't matter, nor acted like they don't.

Heterosexual pride? The point of pride is to counteract shame - when's there ever been heterosexual shame?

The associations you mention are there to promote to the relevant communities that there are opportunities for non-whites, etc etc. Whites have the square root of zero problem in getting jobs in those areas in the first place.

The concept of white privilege is very poorly understood these days despite it being mentioned more frequently. I study this stuff at university and the complexity of trying to explain that people claiming they're not racist or that they have black friends (congratulations! have a medal!) in no way affects the actual problem.

Most campaigns dealing with minorities shouldn't really talk about "rights", they should talk about equality, because the backlash comes from perception they're asking to be treated better than the majority, when in fact the idea is to create equality.

This subject is a wormhole.

doctor Bob":3n26ubv5 said:
I'm sure if you feel strongly you could march down your high street declaring your hetrosexuality, this is how gay pride started, so go for it Phil.

In a discussion on this in The Times I did suggest (obviously not seriously) that I was going to organise a Heterosexual Pride march ............the post was taken down by their censors. :D

I absolutely refuse to get in to this topic, so the censorship mind control thought-police have won, unfortunately.

Trainee neophyte":14l9vatc said:
I absolutely refuse to get in to this topic, so the censorship mind control thought-police have won, unfortunately.
Good decision, me neither though the way it should be imo is ALL lives matter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back