Hancock's Half Hour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree on the activities etc for the vulnerable, that is not an important factor IMO at the moment, something to consider if this was to last longer than another 6 months maybe.

Maybe you could have lower capacity at stadiums, but is that workable in an economic sense? I wouldn't think but could be looked at.

Regarding people who have had the disease I am (at the moment) firmly against any kind of immunity passport type idea. Recent studies are showing very low levels of antibody for C19. Best theory at the moment is that only those who have a moderate to severe reaction are producing a full antibody response. Children, young and healthy adults and the asymptomatic appear to not be producing an antibody response and are instead showing a natural immunity or rather more likely their immune system is able to fight it off before it gets a hold, therefore negating the need for specific antibodies.

RogerS":2nbj0l7b said:

giphy.gif

(He can't see this, so a bit unfair to be taking the Micky)

Andy Kev.":2nbj0l7b said:
Secondly, while I can't see any justification for full sized crowds at recreational events e.g. football matches, perhaps a sensible kind of spacing could be maintained there to the effect of stadiums being e.g. 20% full.

I don't know how their busines model works, but there is a good chance that it would lose less money by just not opening the gates. Similar with airlines and the nonsensical "distancing" rules, (which is mostly virtue-signalling government meddling). If you want a quarantine, have a quarantine. Public transport is not, and never will be a quarantine, no matter how many masks you wear. Businesses can't run at a loss just to provide a service which people feel they ought to be entitled to. At least, they couldn't until now - perhaps we live in a new era where government subsidy will provide. It's worked for the banking system for the last ten years - time to expand the quantative easing regime to the entire economy. What could possibly go wrong?
Rorschach":2nbj0l7b said:
You have seen my posts right? That's one of things I have got the most flak for.

Lonely voices crying in the wilderness - you and me both :) I was addressing the consensus, not the loonie fringe (and we both know who that is).

Any route out of the crisis needs to have regard for the whole community - not for particular groups at the expense of others.

The economically active need to return to normal activity. Workplaces and facilities (shops, restaurants, schools, theatre, public transport etc etc) need to be adapted to meet acceptable CV-19 standards.

Those which are not able to do so will fail and go out of business. There is a large unknown with respect to how the new normal will differ from the old, and this should (over time) create new opportunities.

The only justification for government subsidy is to protect key infrastructures (capability or skills), or where it is expected that further easing of guidance will soon enable businesses to restart.

The vulnerable should be able to decide for themselves the level of isolation and distancing they are comfortable with. Provision needs to be made to allow this - eg: online shopping priority, dedicated time slots etc. It is quite unacceptable to marginalise parts of society through a failure to accomodate their reasonable needs.

doctor Bob":z31l0cea said:
Lons":z31l0cea said:
That's not just a number TN it's lives that were lost, many far too early, lockdown should have come earlier and been more strict, the bulk of Joe Public are like sheep and as thick as pigsh*t.

I take it you consider yourself superior to joe public (good for you), obviously the majority of us normal folk on the forum must count as joe public or at least some of us?

Mine you theres a lot on here which think they are a bit clever (the side effect seems to be anger and the need to start arguements).

For God sake, Bobble, go and watch Idiocracy.

RogerS":22yoq0qz said:
Says it all, really.

Won't be going there any time soon although fairly local, it'll be heaving, and although the Lulworth Estate have a one way system in place, it's not really being adhered to, and the path is only about four feet in width.

Some idiots were injured today jumping off the Door :roll: , and a helicopter had to land on the beach, which had to be evacuated.

Nigel.

Nigel Burden":19dzy0zr said:
....the path is only about four feet in width.

YUP...too thick to realise that they can socially-distance ALONG the path.
Nigel Burden":19dzy0zr said:
Some idiots were injured today jumping off the Door :roll: , and a helicopter had to land on the beach, which had to be evacuated.
Nigel.

Ah, Darwin Award candidates, then.

Trainee neophyte":3oflcdts said:
Andy Kev.":3oflcdts said:
Secondly, while I can't see any justification for full sized crowds at recreational events e.g. football matches, perhaps a sensible kind of spacing could be maintained there to the effect of stadiums being e.g. 20% full.

I don't know how their busines model works, but there is a good chance that it would lose less money by just not opening the gates. Similar with airlines and the nonsensical "distancing" rules, (which is mostly virtue-signalling government meddling). If you want a quarantine, have a quarantine. Public transport is not, and never will be a quarantine, no matter how many masks you wear. Businesses can't run at a loss just to provide a service which people feel they ought to be entitled to. At least, they couldn't until now - perhaps we live in a new era where government subsidy will provide. It's worked for the banking system for the last ten years - time to expand the quantative easing regime to the entire economy. What could possibly go wrong?

I wasn't so much thinking of sports clubs but more the people who might want to go and watch sporting events. Mind you, I wouldn't be in their number as it would seem to me to be taking a wholly unnecessary risk. It's the same thing for cultural events. I feel sorry for e.g. musicians who might be losing their jobs or seeing their careers going up in smoke (that's horrible irrespective of how you earn your money) but the unfortunate fact is that sport, arts and culture are all essentially leisure time activities and irrespective of how much pleasure they may give, they will be the first to the wall in such circumstances.

It's odd when you think about all the zillions of money involved in professional football and now we can get it in perspective as a fairly trivial activity.

The Germans are beginning to open their museums etc. but the numbers are controlled, masks must be worn and distances observed.

It might be a good time to be a successful author or to work in publishing though. I've read some books I wouldn't otherwise have had time for.

That picture is a classic example of a few idiots ruining life for the sensible majority, pretty much like some of members here really.

Andy Kev.":30lw0efu said:
I wasn't so much thinking of sports clubs but more the people who might want to go and watch sporting events. Mind you, I wouldn't be in their number as it would seem to me to be taking a wholly unnecessary risk. It's the same thing for cultural events. I feel sorry for e.g. musicians who might be losing their jobs or seeing their careers going up in smoke (that's horrible irrespective of how you earn your money) but the unfortunate fact is that sport, arts and culture are all essentially leisure time activities and irrespective of how much pleasure they may give, they will be the first to the wall in such circumstances

If Glastonbury festival were to be held this year, I guarantee it would be packed. That photo of Roger's shows lots and lots of young people, who are fully aware that they have nothing to be scared of - and they are in enforced lockdown entirely for the benefit of other people. Economics has been based for years on the idea that people only act in self-intetest, and it would seem that the younger generation can't find much benefit in lockdown, no matter how much FUD is thrown in their direction.

I think you're right in that people probably would flock to something like Glastonbury. OTH they would be a self-selecting group of people who don't give a toss. There might be a majority for a more selfless approach. What I think people really resent is the slightly unintelligent approach of the police. OTH the govt. like all its predecessors had no sensible plan. The latter is almost sure to emerge as a result of a much needed enquiry.

It seems to me that it is a matter of distinguishing in as liberal and relaxed way as sensibly possible of allowing things to provide as much normality as normal and not allowing things which represent an irresponsible risk.

The former means accepting a risk e.g. allowing cafes to open in "clear" areas which will inevitably lead to some deaths which would not otherwise have occurred i.e. relatively low numbers whereas the latter effectively means throwing in the towel and accepting any number of deaths that comes.

I reckon that it is still too early to be able to make an informed decision. We don't know and may never know how many people may have caught the disease but had mild or no symptoms* and we don't know how many people are naturally immune. We may eventually work out sensible figures for it and find out that it is actually less dangerous than e.g. flu.

*For example at the peak of infection rates where I live, one morning I felt a bit off colour for an hour or two, then developed a scratchy pain in my throat, felt a bit wobbly when I stood up but by 10 pm that day the symptoms had gone. Was that an example of mild symptoms of corona? I hope so but I certainly wasn't going to go to the doctor to try to find out and I work on the worst possible case that it wasn't and that I need to continue to be cautious.

RogerS":8hub0otn said:
Says it all, really.

Exactly the same on the North East beaches and country walks around here Roger, traffic on the main road through the village is very heavy.

I was a bit harsh when I said "the bulk of Joe public were sheep and thick as pig sh*t". perhaps not bulk but they certainly aren't thin on the ground imho

I have been extremely happy to roam further afield than the local streets and footpaths since the most stringent lockdown restrictions were lifted.I may have been lucky only to encounter thoughtful people making an effort to maintain social distancing.I was absolutely shocked when I saw the crowding on the beach at Durdle Door when two helicopters landed to deal with the lunatics who had injured themselves.My guess is that the NHS now has to deal with some physical injuries and will be braced for some more covid related admisssions.I hope nobody present in that crowd was infectious or we will soon be returning to a stricter lockdown.

Rorschach":3qqhq8qu said:
That picture is a classic example of a few idiots ruining life for the sensible majority, pretty much like some of members here really.

I guess if the cap fits then you're wearing it! :wink:

Purely because it was mentioned - odd-looking scenario.
101535988_279096609949487_7663806340082434048_n.jpg

Attachments

• 101535988_279096609949487_7663806340082434048_n.jpg
    101535988_279096609949487_7663806340082434048_n.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 164
Lons":3lnhiwk1 said:
Rorschach":3lnhiwk1 said:

I guess if the cap fits then you're wearing it! :wink:

I guess we both wear the same size then :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back