Hammer deal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Im new to this forum but have been reading it for some time,i am just in the middle of negotiations with felder over a A3 31 planer and the NN440 bandsaw on finance over 36 months and wondered if anybody else had done this or something similar and how they had found the experience . :D :D

cheers chris lewis joinery

Hi, I ordered a new N4400 bandsaw approximately 4weeks ago and eagerly waiting for its delivery in less than 2weeks time. I went to the Hammer\Felder demo centre and I was impressed with their machinery before I ordered. The only thing is that the price has risen quite a bit over recent years - possible due to euro exchange rate. I spent best part of £1800 on the n4400 with a couple of extras. Good luck!

AspiringWoody":nsabkge2 said:
Hi, I ordered a new N4400 bandsaw approximately 4weeks ago and eagerly waiting for its delivery in less than 2weeks time.

dont hold your breath!

adidat

Yeah the delivery is a concern I was told 10 weeks from ordering,and as I live in the Lake District I haven't had chance to go to the factory and look over the machines are they really as good as hammer says?

I have had a n4400 for a couple of years very pleased with it so far i would buy the brackets for the extension tables while you are at it it's easy to make a mdf extension but you need the bracket to support it

I also have a A3 31 as part of the combi great planner thicknesser in this case buy the dial gauge for the thicknesser
repeatable accuracy to 1/10th of a mm is easy

update regarding n4400 delivery.

Well, I hoped that the date of delivery would be what Felder\Hammer originally said when the order was placed but after me checking with the UK salesman at Hammer Milton Keynes on the day that the N4400 bandsaw was supposed to have been ready for me, he said it was going to be longer by a few weeks.

I am disappointed with the company as it was only by me asking that I was then told 'no can do - be nearly double the amount of weeks'. After some conversations with Hammer the delivery was brought down to 2-3weeks longer so, hopefully, not too much longer.

If Hammer \ Felder want UK customers they should deliver when they say they are going to deliver. I will be less 'keen' to put business to Hammer again based on this experience. It would have been better if the UK customer services had got in contact and apologised upfront rather than leaving it to the customer to get in contact on the day the N4400 bandsaw was supposed to have been ready for me.

I have yet to hear of anyone getting any hammer Kit on the date that they were first told
The kit itself is generally good and reliable but from what i have gleaned from the internet over time Should you need it Customer service can be a bit hit and miss and can mean lengthy delays for spare parts.

As I said this is only what I have gleaned from the internet and I do hope that I am wrong...

Roger

Hi guys

Well what can I say about hammer customer service,since my first inquiry some four weeks ago they have phoned me every day trying to get me to pay a deposit when I have told them I was still undecided on what I wanted.Its a shame really as they look like really good machines but I hate being hounded to make the deal, Sedgwick it is then?

Hi Chris Lewis Joinery,

My current mindset is to recommend you obtain a committed delivery date from Hammer \ Felder if you do want to order from them. I didnt feel that I received good customer service - it wasnt until I chased them that they then replied that I wouldnt be receiving the bandsaw when they originally said on the order. When I ordered the N4400 I specifically said a few times to the salesman that I needed the bandsaw by when they originally said - If I knew the delivery time wasnt going to be honoured by them I would have considered going elsewhere(Startrite probably).

I may be being unfair to the Milton Keynes sales staff but I can only judge them on my experience. This I want to share to other fellow woodworkers.

The delay will impact me as I have in turn needed to tell my prospective customers that I cannot fulfill their order for another 3-4 weeks. I have been honest with my customers - I hope Hammer \ Felder in the UK do the same.

AspiringWoody":2swnrmal said:
I may be being unfair to the Milton Keynes sales staff but I can only judge them on my experience. This I want to share to other fellow woodworkers.

The delay will impact me as I have in turn needed to tell my prospective customers that I cannot fulfill their order for another 3-4 weeks. I have been honest with my customers - I hope Hammer \ Felder in the UK do the same.

your not the only one, very poor. its a shame as it lets down the great machines and you feel lied to. Which basically you have been as I know 2 people personally this has happened to, im sure by now after years of turning these out they could give a very accurate time frame. no doubt they have blamed it on lack of materials or other poor excuse!!

lots of companies face fines when deadlines are not met, but with felder its a running joke.

just to clarify i have no problems with the machines, there great very user friendly and versatile!

one last gripe, WTF is it with logging into there website for a price and getting phone calls the next day!! :evil: :evil:

adidat

All due respect to felder they delivered my ad531 early by a few weeks. ( well i collected it)

The deliveries are made in containers, and dates etimated by predicted sales targets of machines to fill the container. shipping containers can also encounter delays....

Word of advice, I find the cheaper blades last 3/4 of the time of the expensive ones, so imo go for them.

adidat":3fryq17r said:
WTF is it with logging into there website for a price and getting phone calls the next day!! :evil: :evil:

adidat

Yeah, that's a nuisance isn't it?

I've just set up a small workshop. I couldn't run to Hammer, although I did speak to them briefly. I ended up getting the machines I needed from Charnwood all in one go. All in stock; delivered next day :shock:

Not as good as Hammer but they will do what I need and at least I'm up and running on day two rather than day seventy-something.

Pete

Hi bale what Charnwood kit did you get and how do you get on with it. Did it need a lot of fiddling to set up?

Slightly different view from here. I am a keen hobbyist and have a Felder CF731 and Hammer n4400 both bought from Felder in Milton Keynes. 7 years down the road I can honestly say I've only had good experiences with Felder support. How many wood working companies can you list that can support a product in the long term. Yes, everything comes from Austria and prices for bits and bobs can be a bit silly especially after postage BUT I can still get every nut and bolt I may wish to purchase for either of my machines.

Pretty valuable in my opinion....

Paul

Thanks 101wheeler - I do want my machine manufacturers to be able to supply parts several years down the road.

Btw, have you got the hammer\felder mitre gauge? I have got it and it doesn't travel in the groove properly. A bit tight at places and im worried that I might slip a finger\hand into the blade when I am using the gauge. I did a google about it and it appears others have had the same issue.

Many thanks

Hi,

Yes I do have the hammer mitre gauge that came with my band saw, not sure if it's the same one as you have. It travels fine but I wouldn't say it is great(!). It has a very short fence and needs to be a bit more substantial really. I think the bandsaw is a 'badged' machine made in Italy. True Felder quality (Austria) is definitely better but of course you pay more....

Regards,

Paul

Latest posts

Back