Hammer B3 can you make a 'zero insert' plate for it.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Losos

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, has anyone had a probem with the dust extraction on the Hammer B3 saw table, some time ago I was ripping some timber to width and this resulted in about ten thin strips of waste, these were so thin they actually disappered down the side of the blade.

I thought they would drop to the bottom of the cabinet but instead they went down the dust collection funnel and into the pipe that connects to the extractor hose.

But they were too long to go round the bend in the pipe and got stuck and I merily carried on for several weeks doing odd jobs

Yesterday I looked inside and saw a huge pile of sawdust inside the saw and realised that the pipe must be blocked, which it was :roll:

The existing insert plate has far too big a gap around the blade but I'm not sure I can make a 'zero insert' plate because on one side there is no clearance due to the sliding table.

Any Hammer tablesaw users had this problem :?:

Is there a factory 'zero insert' plate available :?:

When i purchased my hammer B3 i opted for the dado setup and it came up with a CNC'd template that fitted the clearance plate. I believe it is made of 6/7mm ply. I would imagine you could order it at a felder price tag. Or copy one.
If you are in the Nottingham area you are welcome to look at mine.
Sorry just realised you are in Europe (although that could be the UK)
Owen

I've had that happen me on my Robland - it seems to be a fairly normal happening.

I've the panel saw (K3 Perform) which is probably similar, but not got it into use yet doe to an ongoing workshop refurb project.

The issue is that it's not just a simple flat plate, it's got some steps milled into the underside. I have though seen an article somewhere on the web by somebody showing their method of producing quantities of zero clearance plates. I think it involved using an original as a router template, and then some sort of fixture to machine the bottom and drill the holes.

Chances are it'll come up if Googled with the right key words. This came up straight away.... http://benchmark.20m.com/tools/HammerB3 ... knife.html

Corset":36i0604t said:
When i purchased my hammer B3 i opted for the dado setup and it came up with a CNC'd template that fitted the clearance plate. I believe it is made of 6/7mm ply. I would imagine you could order it at a felder price tag. Or copy one.
If you are in the Nottingham area you are welcome to look at mine.
Sorry just realised you are in Europe (although that could be the UK)
Owen

Owen, thanks for that, I might try to order one from Felder (It can't be that expensive says he hopefully)

I spend 50% of my time in England and will be in Yeovil next week, and again in August (All the family) and yet again (on my own) Sep / Oct.

Only that last trip will I be in your area by which time I hope to have sorted the problem. Thanks for the offer 'tho.

ondablade":1l1rcju8 said:
I've had that happen me on my Robland - it seems to be a fairly normal happening.

I've the panel saw (K3 Perform) which is probably similar, but not got it into use yet doe to an ongoing workshop refurb project.

The issue is that it's not just a simple flat plate, it's got some steps milled into the underside. I have though seen an article somewhere on the web by somebody showing their method of producing quantities of zero clearance plates. I think it involved using an original as a router template, and then some sort of fixture to machine the bottom and drill the holes.

Chances are it'll come up if Googled with the right key words. This came up straight away.... http://benchmark.20m.com/tools/HammerB3 ... knife.html

Thanks, wow that riving knife modification looks interesting, I'm not aware of any misalignment on my knife but then I don't think I work to the kind of tolerances tht guy is talkig about :roll: :oops:

I suppose I should have thought about Google before posting my OP - I think I'll see what Felder can offer (See post above) and take it from there.

Incidentally I think you might be OK with the K3 because I assume you don't have the sliding table, so, if you needed to make one there would be a bit more space.

Lossos
I made one for my Hammer combi which I think has the same saw unit using laminate flooring its almost the right thickness on the sliding table side you have to glue a double thickness to strengthen the thin strip that is left when you raise the blade through I hope this helps
I will go and take a pic for you
insertplate2.jpg

insertplate1.jpg

John, yes thanks that has helped me, I now know that it can be done as a DIY job, it was that thin bit on the side that was worrying me :)

Also, coincidentally I think I have a bit of laminate flooring lying around in the old barn, I'll go see if i can find it tomorrow, thanks again for pics and help.

Latest posts

Back