hammer a3 planer/thicknesser fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fantaglub

Established Member
Reaction score
hello,

i am in the market for a planer/thicknesser and I can get a good "deal" on a hammer a3. The machine looks great, I just wonder about the fence. It looks great because I do not have to remove it when using the thicknesser, but I wonder how it performs in reality, does it stay square everytime or does it has to be checked back at square when returning to the jointer.

thanks

Fred

Hi fred

I have a c331 which uses the same a3 planer I always check the fence for square takes seconds it is usually ok but better safe than sorry great planer though.

oh yes buy the digital thicknesser handwheel well worth it so easy to thickness to a dimension accuracy of 1/10 of mm or less every time also the out feed extension is worth having

Hi fred,

I've got an A3-31 which I've had for about 2yrs, which is being used in a professional workshop. I remove the fence each time I use the thicknesser because the machine is close to the wall and it nearly always remains accurate at 90deg (99 out of 100), although I always check the first piece of timber for square.

On the whole it's been a great machine for the money. The only problem I've had was it going out of alignment on one occassion but I think that was because I tried to force some wide boards through that were still a bit wet. Felder's tech guy was very helpful with giving info on how to sort it out.

Phil

thank you for your answers

next friday I visit the hammer demo shop from la reunion (could not guess there was one until felder france told me so)

I finaly bought it... :D it should be at home by march
they had a sicar combiné close to it, that was one thing that decided me to buy the hammer because from what I read the sicar had good reputation but the hammer was so much better build..
just happy... can't wait to have it home now.

"deal" means normal price because where I am living, everything costs much more than in Europe but fortunately not on woodworking machinery.. which I ignored. No VAT or overseas duty of any kind.. so I have been able to have it at €2300 with delivery and installation and the digital height indicator for free. This is the same price as one can have in France or even slightly less.

Hi Fred,

I,have the Hammer A3-41 which is the big brother to the one you are getting.

I have had no issues with the fence moving,I realise that the fence on the 41 is different to the 31 but they are both first class.
You will be pleased with your P/T when you get it,and the knife changes are a doddle.

Good luck with your "new toy"!

Mark.

Back