Hall Stand/Monks Seat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy brit

Reaction score
Wifey decided she wanted a hall stand so looked on line and found a few, all quite expensive and non that were really right . So I said I could make one. Never, ever done anything like this before, but had to justify a large garage and "toys" ( tools to me and you).
Started off looking at furniture board but decided that the short, narrow staves wouldn't look right, so looked at T&G. After a lot of discussion we settled on T&G floor boards from a well known builders merchant.

The basic shape was drawn up on AutoCad and the setting out dimensions transferred to a sheet of old tatty plywood. The shape was then cut out to give a template.
Various lengths of T&G were glued and clamped to give the 2 sides, a dado cut in with my router (first time used for a real job) to take the back, top & seat. It was a challenge as I didn't have the correct size or type of bit or a guide long enough but years of being an electrician has taught me how to bodge! sort of got there in the end, least they all lined up, after a fashion. To break up the large expanse of wood, V grooves were cut in and I bought a reasonable quality V router bit. Unfortuanly the router "jumped" in one or too places ruining the straight lines, not sure why, call it the rustic look. The grooves still needed cleaning out with a chisel though.

The various elements were then sanded as flat as my patience let me and carried in to the hall. The back was too heavy so was cut along the line where the hooks were to go. It was assembled in the hall and found that it fitted together rather well, could have been better though. It was then painted in a coloured varnish and jobs a good un.

If I were to make another one, or something similar I would do it very differently and invest in a decent guide for the router. I would also cut the V grooves before assembly, they might line up better. That was my biggest downfall, that and not really knowing what I was doing. Wifey loves it, but then her standards aren't as high as mine.

ColinView attachment 134231View attachment 134229View attachment 134230View attachment 134231View attachment 134231
20220422_193115.jpg
20220422_193121.jpg
20220422_193130.jpg
20220318_091831.jpg
20220319_081651.jpg

Well done.

I would have uses t+g cladding for the back.

Also thicker timber for the seat without the grooves.

Nice though.

Cheers James

Well done.

I would have uses t+g cladding for the back.

Also thicker timber for the seat without the grooves.

Nice though.

Cheers James
We had a "discussion" about V grooves on the seat and top, I lost. As for the back, I did a one stop shop, and wasn't too sure about quantities. So played safe. Turns out I used all I bought.

That looks amazing!

I made one but half the size but used an old victorian door as the back and reclaimed wood for the shoe holder and decorative overhang at the top, definitely a bit more rustic than yours :)

Back