Had to buy some proper blanks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooty

Established Member
Reaction score
Tired of green wood distorting and splitting when drying so thought I would buy some wood blanks.
Had a run over to Craft supplies and bought a few blanks Plus a Sorby hollowing tool and some other bits and bobs the bill came to over £100.00 so they gave me a £20.00 bag of assorted blanks free.
Here are a few I had a go at
First I thought I would have a go at indexing?

1st

imgp0176copyoa0.jpg

imgp0177copyml8.jpg

Spaltered Beech with Iroko finnial

2nd
Tried Potpourrie bowls

purpleheartcopyvk4.jpg

purpleheart2copyzr9.jpg

Purpleheart

3rd

ashcopyjx8.jpg

ash2copyqe1.jpg

Ash

4th

sweetchestnutcopydd7.jpg

Sweet Chestnut

Finally thought I would have a go at a square platter/bowl

imgp0178copypt4.jpg

Dont know what this wood is it came in the bag of assorted blanks

I like using ready made blanks but they are expensive

I really turn green when my green turnings split after while...it can be really giving up hope for the day and search for proper dried wood.
I like splits in my mushrooms but not in a dish or platters...

Really nice of them btw to give you a bag of blanks worth £20 after buying other stuff.
Like your turnings too, especially the purpleheart and ash....really shiny.
The square bowl looks like mahogany or iroko...

Danny

You do realise of course that if something goes wrong with the blanks you can't blame the wood :lol:

I must admit to having almost being tempted when at Yandles but so far have resisted. Especially when I see thos Aussie burrs but at £40 for the cheapest and the missus standing next to me I manage to resist. The peiece that you have made must make it worth it Sooty, lovely work there, nice shapes as well.

Pete

All well finished there sooty, the intermediate between 'Green' and 'Dried Blanks' is to look out for suitable slabs,especially seconds from the outer areas of logs. by cutting you own blanks out you save on the labour time and often halve the price for the same volume of wood.

sooty, i love them, they are brill. the shapes are of good proportions, well done that man =D>

the intermediate between 'Green' and 'Dried Blanks' is to look out for suitable slabs,especially seconds from the outer areas of logs. by cutting you own blanks out you save on the labour time and often halve the price for the same volume of wood.

CHJ those slabs look great!
But I would not have the first idea of where to look for them?

You do realise of course that if something goes wrong with the blanks you can't blame the wood

Yes I bought a 8 x 8 x 4 inch of Zebrano and found cracks in either end so I cut 1 inch off all round making it 6x6x4 but the cracks have returned again, dont think I will get much out of it

thanks for all the input
Phil

sooty":uzedtzx5 said:
CHJ those slabs look great!
But I would not have the first idea of where to look for them?
Phil

Phil, You need to go to a timber merchant that also deals in the more exotic woods or supplies the furniture/capentry trade.

As like most people there is non local to me I try and combine a visit with a day out or when traveling near by a suitable supplier.

Have a look at the Timber Suppliers list link below to see if any of these are near any of your routes.

I have had good pieces from Yandles, John Bradford and Ockenden Timber in the past.

Also have a look at Chris' Map link at the top of the page.

All very nice pieces - excellent shape,proportions and finishes. :D

Hope you didn't make them all in one day..

Andrew

nice shapes and nice finishes. I have trouble with green wood too. was given a nice branch of cherry and it all split and is just about no good now. :cry:

mrs. sliver":c7ydibj5 said:
I have trouble with green wood too. was given a nice branch of cherry and it all split and is just about no good now. :cry:

You are not alone, Cherry can be difficult to dry if the core is intact.

I get best results by turning green asap, leaving out the core if possible, try and make the base slightly thinner than the sides in first instance, wrap outside in thick paper leaving inner exposed whilst it dries out.

Very green cherry will shrink across the grain by as much as 1cm in 20cm. so expect to make some nice oval bowls if you do not leave sufficient wood when green.

If you are turning it end grain consider turning/drilling out the core right though the base so that you end up with a cylinder, then when dry fit a plug in the base to complete the item.

sooty":6zqumpt4 said:
Tired of green wood distorting and splitting when drying so thought I would buy some wood blanks.
Had a run over to Craft supplies and bought a few blanks Plus a Sorby hollowing tool and some other bits and bobs the bill came to over £100.00 so they gave me a £20.00 bag of assorted blanks free.
Here are a few I had a go at
First I thought I would have a go at indexing?

1st

imgp0176copyoa0.jpg

imgp0177copyml8.jpg

Spaltered Beech with Iroko finnial

2nd
Tried Potpourrie bowls

purpleheartcopyvk4.jpg

purpleheart2copyzr9.jpg

Purpleheart

3rd

ashcopyjx8.jpg

ash2copyqe1.jpg

Ash

4th

sweetchestnutcopydd7.jpg

Sweet Chestnut

Finally thought I would have a go at a square platter/bowl

imgp0178copypt4.jpg

Dont know what this wood is it came in the bag of assorted blanks

I like using ready made blanks but they are expensive

NNNNNice , only comment is " in my opinion " not criticism , the finial looks a tad on the large side , but doo like everthing else , well turned and finished :p :p

NNNNNice , only comment is " in my opinion " not criticism , the finial looks a tad on the large side ,

Thanks Blister, Thats exactly what I said to SWMBO when I had completed it but she won't hear of it and it takes pride of place on her dressing table.

Thats my first attempt at fitting a finial next time I will try and get it more in proportion.
Thank you to everyone for their input.
Phil

Latest posts

Back