GWW - Is it just me missing the lack of projects?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

The New Good Woodworking seems to have settled down now.

I wondered whether it was just me that was missing the projects that used to adorn it's pages?

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil - no, it's not just you.

I bought the latest issue - first in a long time - but it was in the recycling box about 15 minutes after I started reading. Not that there's much reading in it.

I feel obliged to emphasise that this is very much my own opinion - I know that there are many who like the new format. But I'm happier with Pop Woodworking and FWW from the US. Even happier with Woodworking magazine - just wish they'd publish more frequently!

Pete W":d764vgfs said:
Even happier with Woodworking magazine - just wish they'd publish more frequently!
Part of me wishes it was more often, but I'd sooner have quality than quantity.

Having given up on GWW I can't say, but I wonder could it be because the projects that are in there, so many of them we've already seen previews of online? Certainly I found I was getting rather more deja vu than excitement at new project ideas towards the end of my sub. Just a thought.

Cheers, Alf

I dont buy it myself, but get it from my grandad after hes finished with them.
When i picked up the latest bundle he mentioned that it seemed to be getting a little thin on content.

From what i have seen of them so far, i think its not so much a lack of projects, but as of late it seems to be covering more practical things, rather than coaster and things like that. Depends on what you want i suppose.

Alf":yesgvjz3 said:
could it be because the projects that are in there, so many of them we've already seen previews of online?
Cheers, Alf
Ive often had similar thoughts seeing as how many of the contributers loiter round these parts - natural enthusiasm means that they want to post here but that does rather telegraph some of the magazines content unfortunately.
Cheers Mike

With my house move carry-on I've not been so busy. Apologies all. :oops:
And that Steve Maskery spends all his time in the virtual world now :wink: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Add me to the list of former readers, too.

I wonder if the circulation is holding up or if it's just lost favour on this forum.

Gill

I've been a member of this Forum for only about 4 months but in that time I have learnt more about woodworking than I have from years of reading woodworking magazines.

Where a Forum like this scores over magazines is that one can get such a wide range of views and opinions from people right across the spectrum of woodworking experience - from those who do it for a living at one end of the scale, to happy amateurs at the other. And members are so generous in their willingness to share views and experience.

Not only that, but one can get the information now. And there is all the archive stuff to look up without having to clutter your house up with years of back issues of magazines.

Of course this has only been possible because of the internet and like all technology it brings about changes. In the same way that newspapers have lost a lot of their appeal because television can bring you the news as it happens, so the internet is eating away at the market for magazines.

There will always be a market for books and magazines but they will have to change and develop so that they can live alongside the internet and not try to compete with it.

Sad, maybe, but inevitable I think.

Paul

Everyone has their favourite mag and I too have done a trawl of them in WHS on a Saturday morning when 'er indoors is in M&S with the credit card. If your interest is in furniture making, as mine is, as opposed to general woodwork topics then IMHO then nothing comes remotely close to F&C. I am biased because a) I contribute and b) I have every single copy since day one. The mission statement is 'promoting excellence in furniture making' ie; it is produced for the professional maker but there is sufficient content to inspire the amateur.
For example in this month's edition there are articles by, amongst others;
John Lloyd making a traditional replica bookcase
John Bullar talking about the use of chisels for cutting joints (part of a series about basic kit and techniques for apprentices)
The Wood Awards Competition
The editor continues his series of articles on SCM machinery
Williams and Cleal make a bookcase
Kevin Ley discusses all manner of workshop cramps
Mark Ripley continues to look at the construction of suite of furniture for a chapel (oak sideboard in this issue)
Alan Holtham looks at the Metabo 310S combination machine
Toolbox - looking at whats new this month
Q&A - how do you clean up and finish the holly and mahogany deck of an old speedboat?
In conclusion, I would quote from Issue 113
".....the criteria for inclusion of an article should not be cost but excellence. The interest comes from the futhering of our understanding and appreciation of furniture and the creation process, not wether we happen to be amateur or professionals. The many other magazines pander to the perceived needs of the amateur and offer little of real content and seem to encourage mediocrity." (Don Walters)

Next time your better half is loose in M&S, have a good look at F&C, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Hi all,

Well I don't know what to say really. Of course, I'm biased, and of course I hate to see unhappy readers, or, even worse, ex-readers. And, of course, I have my own opinions about the changes. I'm not going to get involved with the details here, but they can be summarized as I Like Some Of Them And Dislike Others.

Gill, when I saw Nick recently he told me that sales were significantly up, and against a falling market.

As for projects, I agree that there appears to be fewer. I certainly haven't written many this last 12 months - I haven't had any commissions. The few pieces I've made for chez Maskery have been sitting for months waiting to be sprayed, due to it being permanently winter, so have been completed only in the last couple of weeks. It does mean, however, that all of a sudden I have a little rash of them to submit.

I think one of the weaknesses of GW in the past was that, although many of the projects were good and interesting, there was very little about the more advanced techniques. So I've spent much of the last year writing about these - mathematical design for woodies, dovetails on the bandsaw, etc, and whatever interesting jigs I could write about. Some for old hands, some for beginners.

My own journey started by wanting projects, projects and more projects. I wanted stuff I could make. Then I wanted stuff I could dream about making. Then I wanted the tools to make my own dreams. Now, as Philly says, I spend more time on this wretched machine using SU than I do actually in the workshop.

I don't know what the answer is. GW projects are almost entirely written by readers, not the GW staff, so the short answer is "If you want projects, then write them!". I'm sorry if my posting here detracts from the mag, perhaps I'd better stop shooting myself in the foot (not for the first time in my life) and keep mum.

One of the problems is that mags, UK ones at least, are not awash with cash. ALL mags have a lower circulation than 5 or 6 years ago, because so many of us get our WW input, well, here. Fewer readers means less income, less ability to sell advertising space, which means less income again. They can't commission projects for the sake of filling the pages.

But one thing I can promise you. If you don't like what I write, or the way I write it, please tell me. I can't speak for the mag, I can only speak for myself, but I really do try to give what I'm told people want. If it's not, say so (nicely, please, I'm a sensitive little soul) and I'll try to change. If you do like it, tell Nick, he's my boss! He does take criticism (good and bad) seriously, even though he may not like it or agree with it. But if there are specifics, like "We want more Projects suitable for xxx" then tell him. It may take a few months (there can be quite a lead time - some of my recent articles were actually written pre-millennium!) but if he can, he will.

That's all, I've said enough, I think.

Cheers
Steve Maskery, Internationally Renowned Woodworking Superstar. Almost.

Steve,

In an attempt to be helpful, here's what I actually do.

Back in the 1970's when I was starting out with woodworking (I had just got married, had little money and realised that if I wanted nice things I had to make them myself) I had a thirst for knowledge so I used to buy any woodworking magazine or book that was available.

As I learnt the basics I started to become dissatisfied because most magazines tend, over the years, to repeat themselves. That's OK in that there must be a constant stream of beginners starting out who want to know the basic stuff. However, there seems to be little in the way of magazines catering for those who want to move on and do more advanced work.

In more recent years I used to buy the American magazine Fine Woodworking because that sometimes had some inspirational stuff in it.

Now that I am retired and have to be a bit more selective about what I spend my money on, the only woodworking magazine I always buy is Furniture & Cabinetmaking (F&C) because it's the only one that caters for people who want the inspirational stuff, and there is always some very good work in it. The others I flick through and only buy they if they have something that I am particularly interested in.

On the subject of flicking through the mags, those covered in plastic because they contain free gifts or catalogues really annoy me. Invariably the free gifts are not worth having, the catalogues you could get from the firms anyway and if the magazine turns out to not have anything much in it, I feel that I've been done out of £3.50 or whatever it costs. So I tend not to buy those ones.

I hope this is of some help.

By the way, I quite like your stuff and have sometimes bought GWW because of it. Keep it up :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":jq6s68co said:
On the subject of flicking through the mags, those covered in plastic because they contain free gifts or catalogues really annoy me. Invariably the free gifts are not worth having, the catalogues you could get from the firms anyway and if the magazine turns out to not have anything much in it, I feel that I've been done out of £3.50 or whatever it costs. So I tend not to buy those ones.
Oh hear, hear! Not that long ago Andy and Pete explained to us how GWW didn't go in for cover gifts 'cos content was more important... :( I'd love to know if sales would have gone up without the cover gifts. :?

Anyway, I have a thought, which I shall share whether you like it or not. I've said it before, that there doesn't seem to be anything to settle down and read anymore. You know, real writing that you can read by going consistantly up and down columns with pics to illustrate the words actually near the relevant text. Well a comment I got after one of my last reviews made me think a bit more - sorry, I can't remember who it was :oops: but it was essentially "I'm not going to be buying one of these, but I enjoy reading the review anyway" (which was really nice, but I'm not mentioning it for my own edification - there is a point!) And there's a problem. I find in magazines now that if you don't want to make the projects then there's nothing to make me want to read the article about it. It doesn't flow, it's too bitty, even though projects have such an obvious beginning/middle/end framework somehow it gets lost in the presentation. I'd be very surprised if that was the contributor's fault; I doubt any of them are professional writers. In GWW's case I'm not even sure it's the editor's fault. If GWW were struggling with three of them, what's it like now with Pete gone and Nick apparently running his business at the same time? The internet is lousy for actual reading material - a book or magazine is always going to be preferred to a laptop for a little something to pass the time in the smallest room... So there's a place where the mags can really challenge the 'net IMO.

But I've ranted enough. I'd promised not to do this again too. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":jp86wdlu said:
I'd promised not to do this again

Glad you did - you made many of my points for me, and made them much better :)

The reading thing is my main gripe. Yes, you can get lots of info here and other online sites, but some of us spend most of the day in front of the computer - it's no substitute for something you can take into the garden, or the park, or the train or wherever.

If the circulation is up against a falling market, it indicates that the magazine is being run successfully in commercial terms. Any problems must therefore lie with us instead :lol: !

I wonder if the members of this forum are too demanding. We tend to be more accomplished than the market that magazines aims at, using sophisticated programs like SketchUp to design projects and egging each other on to develop our techniques beyond those of the average weekend woodworker. Perhaps we quickly outgrow the scope of the articles that GWW has to offer. I'm not so sure it's just a matter of the projects - like Alf, I suspect it's more to do with the way the magazine is written.

When I first started 'grown-up' woodworking I looked to GWW and found it very informative, although I couldn't stand the articles written by John Brown. As time passed, I came to find those articles more entertaining and informative than the rest of the magazine. GWW just hasn't found anyone to replace him, despite the valiant attempts of David Savage.

For me, it's not the projects that a magazine has to offer; it's the philosophy which underlines the projects and the companionship of authors who make me feel they're artists, not engineers. I like to feel as if I'm sharing a journey with them, not simply producing an item.

Just a few thoughts :) .

Gill

Gill":de1r4o3z said:
For me, it's not the projects that a magazine has to offer; it's the philosophy which underlines the projects and the companionship of authors who make me feel they're artists, not engineers. I like to feel as if I'm sharing a journey with them, not simply producing an item.

Yes, yes, YES!

S

Gill":xpqndf2q said:
When I first started 'grown-up' woodworking I looked to GWW and found it very informative, although I couldn't stand the articles written by John Brown.
Oh gosh, no, neither could I. Ghastly old luddite, all those old tools he's got, s'all right for him having all that old stuff he's gathered up over years and years etc etc. But I still read it, 'cos it was actually rather well written, despite his claims to the contrary. I blame him entirely for sowing the seeds of my own sorry state now. :lol:

Steve Maskery":xpqndf2q said:
Gill":xpqndf2q said:

Yes, yes, YES!

S
I'll have what he's having... :-s :lol: I agree though, I think. If what you mean is we've sort of lost the personal touch?

Cheers, Alf

It also helps if the articles are written using grammatical, correctly spelled English, wot I find GWW does gooder than most of the others. :wink:

Ah, but Nick, what if the original manuscript was writ proper and the editor(s) hack it up into gobbledegook? That does happen. DAMHIKT, ha, ha. Slainte.

Nick W":2orrx80o said:
It also helps if the articles are written using grammatical, correctly spelled English, wot I find GWW does gooder than most of the others. :wink:

Ah yes, a subject close to my own heart (but you knew that already, didn't you?). Take carcase and carcass, for example. The number of time I've read (not in GW of course) about how to glue up a dead animal.

Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":3irhrhik said:
Take carcase and carcass, for example. The number of time I've read (not in GW of course) about how to glue up a dead animal.

Why, what else would you use Hide Glue for? :lol:

Back