Gutters & Leaves...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

My house if overlooked by a whole load of trees, all of which deposit their leaves in to my gutters every Autumn.

I've been looking around at the various gutter guards on the market and, as per usual, each promises a better solution than the last.

So... Anyone here use any form of gutter leaf prevention? If so, would you mind sharing your experience - is it any good or, if not, what's not so good about it. Or, perhaps more to the point, any recommendations.

My current favourite for ease of installation (and removal if maintenance is required over the longer term), and also the one I suspect will work the best, is this one.

Cheers

Not wishing to sound cheeky, but my experience is that there is no short cut, gutters need to be regularly cleaned out. It neednt take long. I use a small old pointing trowel and an old paste brush to scrape the worst into a bucket. On one ocasion to reach an inacessible spot I made a scraper from a scrap of thick aluminium shaped like a half moon and screwd to the end of a broom handle to pull the rubbish towards me. Then I flush the fine bits away with a small amount of water. It amazes me how much sludge builds up, where does it all come from? Also I take a look "while I'm up there" at the connections between the gutters/downspouts/end cap's etc to make sure theres no cracks or leaks. Too many folks just dont bother with clearing their gutters. Before you know it theres grass weeds even trees (yes I've seen that!!) growing, rainwater running down the wall etc. Potential serious problems with damp, rot etc just for the want of a little regular clean up :lol:

Looking at the one in the Advert, I dont rate it. You would still have to get up the ladders to remove it and simply (??) "shake the waste off" I bet thats easier said than done. Your still going to get fine soil/silt etc in the bottom of the gutter and that would still need to be removed. Its an unecessary gimmick. probably costs 13p a yard to make and they market it at 10.99 a yard in b&q or whatever :wink:

yep i agree with mr spanton

only way is to get up there once a year and clean it out with a small trowel and a bucket
where does it all come from?
mainly from the massive amount of lichen and moss living on the roof;)

mambo":qfokl5t7 said:
yep i agree with mr spanton

only way is to get up there once a year and clean it out with a small trowel and a bucket
where does it all come from?
mainly from the massive amount of lichen and moss living on the roof;)

Ahhhh! thats the word I have just been trawling the net for :wink:

I thought it was going to be one of them "can not sleep for thinking nights"

As for the idea of the brush in the gutter, i'm afraid it is a no from me too.
And, in "my opinion" I am not to keen on the website.

Quote "Online payment for orders for orders 40 metres or less."

Or have I missed something here?

RPM

Latest posts

Back