Gumtree Bargain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fidget

Trying
Reaction score
I haven't posted much since joining this excellent forum where I have learned so much thanks to the collective wisdom kindly shared, but I was rather pleased when I spotted an ad on Gumtree yesterday morning for hand planes for £15, so I went and had a look and ended up buying these three.

A Stanley 45 which doesn't seem to be in too bad a condition and complete as far as I can tell
Stanley 45-COLLAGE 004.jpg

A Stanley No 4. Mostly surface rust I think. I'm sure that a couple of minutes freehand sharpening and it will be good as new!
Stanley No4-COLLAGE.jpg

And this rather curious grooving plane. There are a lot of brass bits on this, will Custard's paste be the right stuff to clean this up?
Rebate plane-COLLAGE.jpg

I'm looking forward to giving them all a little TLC as recommended in these forums and adding them to my arsenal.

Any recommendations? (I have started a gentle wipe down of the wooden plane with 'wood reviver') and have read the Tool Cleaning and Restoration post by AndyT

Thanks

Attachments

• Stanley 45-COLLAGE 004.jpg
    Stanley 45-COLLAGE 004.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 1,010
  • Stanley No4-COLLAGE.jpg
    Stanley No4-COLLAGE.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 1,010
  • Rebate plane-COLLAGE.jpg
    Rebate plane-COLLAGE.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 1,010
Fidget":3jd5tk7s said:
There are a lot of brass bits on this, will Custard's paste be the right stuff to clean this up?

Not really necessary, you only need the paste for stuff with knurling or where it's too time consuming to get into all the nooks and crannies.

Nice buy by the way!

That's a plough plane, by Greenslade of Bristol. Looks in decent nick.
Did you get any other irons?

Yes it's got the Greenslade stamp on the end, and no, unfortunately I didn't get any other irons with it. It's got a little bit of woodworm, otherwise I think it will clean up nicely.

Congrats on your buys, you got a stonking bargain! The 45 alone would make this a great buy AFAIC.

Even though I don't live in the UK I peruse Gumtree on a regular basis and once or twice a month there's a good deal to be had in hand tools and I'm glad someone from here got to take advantage of one of them.

Despite how comprehensive the rust is on that number 4 it should clean up well, I've dealt with lots worse and had a usable plane at the end of the day. Don't be too disheartened if you find lots of pitting on the flat of the iron, it can be dealt with. See my post #1218741 in this recent thread.

Thanks ED65 , I have snagged quite a few bargains from Gumtree recently. I'm currently wondering about a 6" bench grinder going for £18.

I'm definitely looking forward to dealing with the No 4. and will be referring to your posts for guidance. I have taken the iron out and it's not as bad as the one in your pic. I have just ordered a new(ish) cap iron screw for it to replace the old one which is knackered.

I haven't played with the 45 yet and have absolutely no experience of them at all!

Back