Guinea Pig number 1

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
I set out this morning like a small boy coming down stairs on Christmas morning, yes I was going to visit Richard for a day of turning training. \:D/

The drive was straight forward, only missing the entrants to the yard at the last turn. :roll:

Richard has a unit that is well organised, and with half an hour of arriving I had been shown the tools and set a task of turning some beads.
3303988295_2e1c53224b.jpg

Can you tell which is Richards demo?
Followed by coves.
3303997017_82411bf10e.jpg

Richard showed me his technique for sharpening and I reground some of my tools I had taken along. New way of using tools where demonstrated and I tried then out with a good success rate. 8)
Having practised on some tulip wood it was time to try a maple blank that had a goblet supposedly inside it. :-k
3303998969_3b37a39fc7.jpg

Well I did have to redesign the stem a little during the turning process.
3304828370_ce28d5de60.jpg

Then it was on to bowl turning with an ash blank mounted on the lathe.
3304829448_4c5a1ee2d2.jpg

Now that is a totally different ball game the need for greater protection from the shavings become quickly apparent, I think the blank was some form of TARDIS as I got more shavings out of than could possibly have been in side it. :wink:
I was introduced to power sanding which gave very good results.
3304832194_6e2e09685e.jpg

After which the blank was reversed and the inside hollowed.
3304838536_3cb44ed2d2.jpg

Richard then showed me a very good idea for finishing the bottom of the bowl, take a face plate, add a disc of mdf and a bit of router mat and bring up the live centre.
3304843670_428aa8df25.jpg

So here I am with the physical results of today, hopefully much of the theory will stick for use on my own lathe.
3304844624_b038f3e2dd.jpg

Richard is a really good bloke, patiently repeating things I was not putting into practise and not jumping too much when I got the odd dig in. :oops:
Comment form LOML when I got home, I see you have had a good time, you still have shavings in your hair. :D

Brilliant. Richard got some training in teaching and by the sound of it did well and you got some pratice and picked up speed on the slope. Having someone else show you how and guide you makes all the difference doesn't it.

Don't worry about the shavings in the hair. I get complaints about them bunging up the washing machine :oops:

Pete

Looks like the day turned out nice Dave, as always it's just practice, practice and yet more practice from now on, oh! I forgot; and find some means of accommodating all those rounded bits of wood. :lol:

Well done Dave and Richard :D
Glad the day went well,with a couple of nice looking pieces at the end of it.
Was it what you both expected :?:
See you soon :wink:

Hi all,

here's a link to the original thread for those confused about the title!! https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29674

I'm glad you had a good day Dave.

My plan for the day was to give Dave (who's pretty much a newbie to the slope) a good base to build upon. We looked at spindle turning techniques with gouges and skews (only 1 catch with a skew :shock: not sure if that makes me a good teacher or Dave a good student :?: :wink: :lol: ) We also looked at sharpening these tools and the various options as to grinds etc.

Dave then made a Goblet in Maple. He coped well with hollowing and even turned the bead in the stem with a skew!!

In the afternoon we looked at bowl turning and Dave made a nice Ash bowl as pictured.

There was a lot of information to take in but I hope I've given Dave a helping hand along the way (last seen leaving my workshop travelling VERY quickly down the slope :lol: :lol: :wink: )

The next challenge for Dave is to re-make both the bowl and the goblet without me there.... and do them better! Good luck!

Next student is Cambournpete on Saturday!

Cheers,

Richard

Skew on first lesson? Not so much going down a slope as jumping off a precipice. :lol: It is really good what is happening here. Speaking as an ex teacher. Being able to teach is one thing, getting students to learn is another.

pete

Well done Dave and well done Richard. 8) 8) :p :p :p
Sounds like that has been of benefit to you both, and echo what Pete says... absolutely great to see something like this happening -
Well done guys, -- that brings a really good 'spirit' with it... good luck to Cambourne for the weekend too !

You're a good man, Mr Findley ... the "karma fairy" will smile favourably upon you in the near future :D :D :D :D :wink:

thats great news, i am glad to hear both of you had a good time. dave, am i jealous dam right i am. lol.

Well done Richard, looks as if you have sent a really happy bunny off to find the biggest hill he can to play on. :eek:ccasion5:

Looks like a good day had !

Can someone tell me - is router mat - just the same as the back of a mousemat ? that kinda rubbery stuff ?.

Looks a great idea, save me turning a jam to suit every bowl !!!!

Hi Loz.

Don't think it's like mouse mat.

You can buy as router mat, or as I use 'non-skid' mat from a caravan shop. The stuff I use is like a 5mm net covered in very soft 'feels tacky' rubber type substance. Costs less than a fiver for a roll approx. 300mm x 1000mm. I've had a piece on my face plate for a couple of years and still going good.

Well Done both. Looks like a fun day and you covered a lot.

Who's the next victim?

Latest posts

Back