Guinea Pig number 1

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a good day for both teacher and student, but a couple of thoughts -

Dave/Richard - I noticed that the full face visor is only worn in one of the photos. I know glasses are worn throughout, but isn't it safer to wear the full visor all the time, just in case?
Also, I noticed that there's no dust mask worn at all, even during power sanding. Even with my extractor and ambient filter running I always wear one. Was dust control part of the lesson?

Pete - you asked about teaching the skew so early on. Once basic control of a gouge has been achieved I say why not. If you avoid learning/teaching it and instill a fear of using it then you are missing out on a very useful tool. Yes, it can catch and make a mess of work but it can produce a finish better than most other tools.
One useful way to teach/learn to use one is to use steb centres - you can drive the turning with just enough grip to turn the wood but as soon as there's a catch the wood stops spinning and the catch isn't horrific.

In hindsight I must admit that I wish I had stuck with the skew early on as I am one of those who had a couple of nasty catches with it and gave up on it, using it only as a scraper basically. Since being shown how to use it I have found as you said that it is possibly the most useful tool.

Pete

Paul J

Well done Dave and Richard
Glad the day went well,with a couple of nice looking pieces at the end of it.
Was it what you both expected?
See you soon

Hi Paul,

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect but largley the day went to plan and I think that the most important thing is that Dave went away happy that he had learned something and with a couple of peices he had made himself with only pointers and a little help from me.

I will see you in a couple of weeks :wink:

Hi Duncan,

I take your point re: visor and dust mask. Both were offered. I think in future I should perhaps insist... just in case! Still, it's a learning curve for me as well :D

Hi Loz,

Yes this is Router matt that I use which I find works a treat. I have heard that neoprene (wet suit material) works well too. This isn't that dissimilar to mouse mat so it may be worth a try?

Wizer,

I've got Cambournepete coming on Saturday and Paul J on the 28th of March.

Thanks all for your comments and kind words,

Cheers,

Richard

Richard did indeed offer me the visor and dust mask, and I did not use the dust mask at all :oops: and only used the visor when turning the bowl blank.
I should point out that I was wearing proper prescription safety glasses while I was turning, I changed back to my vary focals for the last picture, so I could see Richard!

The things I learnt about the skew were magic, lots of uses I had not tried before, a very versatile tool. I will be looking for a bigger straight skew to compliment my 1/2" oval one.

Unfortunately my Perform is still in the garage, no power out there, I need to spend more time reorganising the workshop to get it in. :-k Mike, no need to comment. :twisted: I also have a desk to finish for the LOML so it will be a few weeks before I can make more goblets and bowls. :(

I took the goblet and bowl into work to show my team what I spent Monday doing and now have orders for some bowls. :eek:

DaveL":uvpwu5s0 said:
Richard did indeed offer me the visor and dust mask, and I did not use the dust mask at all :oops: and only used the visor when turning the bowl blank.
I should point out that I was wearing proper prescription safety glasses while I was turning, I changed back to my vary focals for the last picture, so I could see Richard!

unfortunately your safety glass's wont stop a broken tooth, nose etc- i have had lots of bits hit my visor over the years it happens incredibly fast.

I hope that you will always wear a full visor from now on.

glad you had a good day- let me know when your next passing :)

I had a piece of bowl shoot up inside a cheap visor and cut my eyebrow. At the end of the day take any and every precaution you can.

Pete

Back