Guide rails for festool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfarris

Established Member
Reaction score
I want a rail to rip sheet material down in my workshop.
Should i go for one single 2.7 length or 2no 1.4m lengths and join them together.

The reason for asking is, i was given a 2.7m rail when i bought my festool track saw which warped when i left it lent up in my van overnight.

If i buy the 2.7m it will live in my workshop. Has anyone any experience of Maktia rails using festool tracksaw.

Thanks in advance

John

I had a 2.4m track which I found very unwieldy. I sawed it into two (unequal) lengths, and am happy to use them joined if necessary. This works much better for me. I couldn't find anywhere to easily store a long track, plus getting it out of storage without multiple collisions was such a pain that I generally avoided using it, which somewhat defeated the purpose....

Guess it depends how much space you have and how much you will use it.

I have a 3m Festool track, wouldn't be without it but I do have plenty of space. Think I would find it frustrating joining and splitting tracks but it is for my business so need to be as efficient as possible.

Have heard good and bad things about Makita tracks, some people complaining about the Makita rails being bent but this was on the Festool Owners Group where there are a lot of Festool fanboys.

Just looked at the prices of long tracks Festool v Makita, can see why you are looking at the Makita ones. Bought mine years ago, they have gone up a bit!

I also have the Festool 3000mm track and I would not be without it.....Initially, I bought 2 x 1400mm tracks and joined them together when I needed to break down longer material. It soon got tedious and I ended up buying the 1900mm rail for cross cuts as well.
I use mine for business and occasionally, I have to take the 3000mm rail on site. Transportation can be an issue but I store mine in the wooden box it was sent in which helps to protect it.

I originally had 2x1.4m rails and a 2.4m.
The 2.4m was neither use nor ornament: too long for for anything less then a full sheet and not long enough for a full sheet.
The 2.4m got nicked, so I bought a longer one. I'm not sure if it is 3m or 2.7. I think the latter.
I cut one of the 1.4s into two uneven pieces; I don't use them very often but they are occasionally useful for cross-cutting longer boards.
On the rare occasion when I have to join two together, there is no hitch at all, the resulting cut is straight and true.
I'm not sure how helpful all this is, it's just my experience. I am glad I have the long track.

I also wouldn't be without my 3m rail, I have a selection of rails in various sizes and I would really need to be in the mire to considering using the joining bars, I've never found them to hold the rails straight, any kind of lifting or movement would pull them out of alignment.

Now I do have issues with the splinter peeling off the last 4-5" of the rails though.

Jon

I have a 1.4m track and 2x700mm tracks.

I certainly don't have the space for a single piece track but I am also not using it for my living so joining is no problem for me. All depends on your needs really.

I hang my tracks on the wall vertically, I think that is probably the best way to keep them straight. Aluminium warps more easily than people might imagine.

Thanks for the replies chaps, having read your replies i am now seriously considering 3m guide rail. Wish it wasn't so expensive!

Was the original 2700 Festool rail not under warranty? They shouldn’t bend/warp just because they were left in a van overnight.

I have the Makita rail, works fine with Festool, but it has an anti-tipping lip (for the Makita saw) that can get in the way of some accessories eg parallel guides; works fine for simple cutting, though. I also find the Makita grippy strips under the rail not to be as good as the Festool.

I also have a 2400 Festool (holey) rail, and have used that to cut full sheets without any problems - just means that you need to start the cut with a plunge. I also made a 2440 guide rail for ~£20 which worked surprisingly well - it was part of my Tracksaw Workshop video series, link in sig.

When I bought my Makita rail the Festool 2700 rail was over £400, the Makita £120, so a pretty easy decision; I know the price of the Festool has come down, and the Makita gone up, so unsure how much of a difference there is - I prefer the Festool rails, personally, but it comes down to how often you expect to need it, and how much you want to pay.

HTH P

Back