Guess what this is

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
Speaker.JPG

Is this a botched DIY attempt? Or maybe the work of a cowboy?

No

It's a speaker installed on a £9 million Sunseeker SUPER Yacht!

(Sorry Doc - I missed off the E...)

Mark

Attachments

• Speaker.JPG
    Speaker.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 852
It may be waterproof after all. It's the same material Rogers used to use for their drive units, and it looks like the surround allows large cone excursions. It looks to me like a hi-fi driver, albeit with a heavy surround. In my experience the all-mylar ones that are waterproof sound horrible. It's hard to tell - what diameter is the cone bit?

unfortunately this type of 'fixing' is widespread at sunseekers, the fitters use huge amounts of Sikaflex to stick things to other things just so long as it looks ok on the surface. Few of their interior fitters are skilled craftsmen, they are just putting together giant kits.
only good thing about this place was they paid well :evil:
chris

I think this goes to show that if you put a large price tag on an item people assume it's been built by craftsmen to a high standard, however....

Of course a lot of visible silicone doesn't mean a joint is waterproof - and why white compound when Mister Corning makes clear stuff that's probably even better than the white? For example, do you ever see a fish tank sealed with white silicone?

Changed in the boat-yards since I was there, on high class work we had to ensure the screw slotts or bolt heads were in line. If you go way down onto the lower decks of HMS Warrior in Portsmouth harbour the big square nuts are in line on her.

Gareth

t8hants":1fjamc9q said:
If you go way down onto the lower decks of HMS Warrior in Portsmouth harbour...

Gareth

I would love to see that ship. I think the ladders and stuff would be beyond me these days! To think I would come down a companionway hands only, on the rails, without even thinking on it! :D

I've only seen film of Warrior, on Dan Snow's programs, but it did look way more impressive than Victory. (I scrubbed those decks a few times on working party detail!)

When I was in HMS Vernon (Sadly all gone now), the main dormitory block was called 'Warrior Block'. it was massive, but comfy. The unused floors at the top were creepy though, especially when you were on Sentry Patrol on a windy night! Happy days! :)

I seem to recall that it was teak on the HMS Warrior rather than oak. A very impressive ship, well worth a look around if you can get to it. We went around the SS Great Britain in Bristol a couple of days ago, also well worth visiting and all accessible by lifts if you can't manage the stairs.

Latest posts

Back