Guess the timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
A bit of fun, I was very fortunate to be given a couple of logs, this is the beautiful interior (wet, so it will look less impressive once dried I guess) can you ID it?

AVvXsEjdQaUND3ekXeAdweovyfUokMiHeJJeZ4mYy0iBA883ScqkLi_wuHRGNf51ASJxhMdwFQuD17kqsikiHcWZQKmFMIgQyLiTkPWj6R6ZVvI6ltGagO9z5YjzNB17qBPK-oDHRi6-bSbPABuad5XAye1Om1Mc5I5j2zqThQh141Xbf9P0VUfVsVZZYiN2=s800

Good Guesses, but Richard C gets it right, it's Plum. I am usually pretty much on the money with timber ID as I have seen and worked quite a wide variety of native timber at least, but this one would have a puzzle, never had a piece of plum timber to work before, isn't it pretty cut green? :D Well done Richard C ! :D

I've a few bits of an old Victoria that I cut down several years ago and they still look much as they did when first cut, maybe a bit redder, so there's every chance of some beautiful pieces there

I've had a few bits of greengage from neighbours tree pruning, so it's sort of cheating. Hard to do much with it because some heartwood is often as soft as a soft thing. As it dries out, the white bits can go a very nice rich creamy colour, the dark bits lose some contrast but don't change much. If you can get something out of it, the finish is silky-smooth. I use Danish oil followed by wax.

Well that certainly sounds very promising, I'll rough them out and once they're complete I post the pics. :D

Take your time with the drying process as is prone to crack and split but still a lovely finish

I knew it was plum as my kitchen stool has plum legs

purchased at a music festival (as was the spearmint sat on it I don't normally travel with plants)

36755024_10156868394507502_5628620448896909312_n.jpg

That's interesting, I've just picked up a couple of large-ish logs from a cherry plum (prunus cerasifera) that blew down last week. I think some parts are showing signs of rot but most of it should be sound - I'll need to cut them up to see.
PXL_20220223_125921693.jpg
PXL_20220223_125927766.jpg

Latest posts

Back