Grub screw rounded out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamiecrawford

Established Member
Reaction score
Bloody typical, I have a market stall on Saturday, and was rattling through a load of decorations this morning when the grub tightening the top blade holder rounded out. I've tried three other Allen keys to no avail, so aside from not having a spare screw I can't get the original one out. Sealey will sell me some spares but they won't arrive in time to make any difference but I now definitely want away from a hex fitting. Any ideas on what type of business might stock something like this, and any clue as to how to remove the offending article in the meantime?

Jamie

Bolts and fastners, is the thing to search for..
There are several near you.
These look OK.
The Nut & Bolt Store
124 Portland Road
Hove
East Sussex
BN3 5QL

mjcann":z33nnkt6 said:
Bolts and fastners, is the thing to search for..
There are several near you.
These look OK.
The Nut & Bolt Store
124 Portland Road
Hove
East Sussex
BN3 5QL

That's great, cheers, I'm a 6" bimbo :)

Grind an old screwdriver or similar into a triangle or square section with some sharp edges/corners and press* into stripped socket so that it grips the outer shell.

* not too hard you don't want to spread the screw shell.
extract.jpg

Attachments

• extract.jpg
    extract.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 711
If you take the clamp with you to B and Q you can buy some allen bolts that will fit. I know how frustrated you must feel as you want to build up stock. What will be a good idea when you get sorted is to buy some spare clamps so if it should happen again you won't be left in the lurch. I too learnt the hard way.

Cheers chaps, I ended up cutting into the head with a hacksaw, then using an old flat head to turn it. It should last today, and I'll get to B&Q as suggested. I suspect I may have been over tightening but whenever I didn't, the blade seemed to pop out. I'm guessing there's a sweet spot, that will come with time.

Back