We've all been there...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave.L

Established Member
Reaction score
We've all been there...

or I'm a particularly clumsy silly person – the jury is still out on that one.

I picked up by first p/t the other week, an old Dewalt Dw1150 from a fella who simply didn't use it any longer. It looked like it had been used but reasonably well looked after, had a little try out – the results were ok but not stellar - on closer inspection one of the knives was absolutely fine, the other very blunt and severely chipped. This seemed a little odd, but no problem thinks I – i'll just get some new blades.

Fast forward to today, new blades have arrived, careful reading of the manual, a couple of youtube videos to make sure I knew what I was doing and on I went.
The first blocking wedge (the one with the fairly sharp knife) came out with relative ease – there was a lot of crusty resinous gunk all over the threads of the fixing screws/bolts which made it slightly tricky, but all was well.
The second blocking wedge (with the horrible knife) was a different matter – significantly more resinous gunk for some reason, and rather worryingly, the bolts were showing signs of being slightly rounded on the head. Now alarm bells should've started ringing at this point, but you know what it's like when you get a new toy and just want to play....

I cleaned off as much gunk as possible and carefully started to loosen (or tighten, if you follow) the bolts, and bloody hell were they stiff – as they rotated I saw the undersides were properly crusty. 3 of the 4 screws were eventually teased loose, but one was stubborn, so I exert a little bit more pressure and then, the horrible sliding slipping feeling of the spanner rounding over the edges of the head.... pipper, damnation and other colourful commentary.
A pause, a little oil, some more cleaning, and approach from a slightly different angle – the spanner fitted, great, now just a nip...and slip! Feeling properly annoyed I now peer at this well rounded, completely stuck bolt with neither the head nor bottom easily accessible and do what any sane man would do – got out a little needle file and started to establish some new sides on the head. A little while later, good to go again and another slip. To hell with it, quickly checked that I could buy some spare bolts and onwards with 'destructive maintenance' – I carefully filed through the thread, the head broke off and the wedge was free.
Thankfully the remaining section of the bolt was easy to get out of the wedge, and now I just have to await a deliver of spare bolts.

So not a total disaster, but a 30 minute job that has now run into two or three days at least.
But I have definitely learned not to over tighten those bolts when I refit the new blades.

Hopefully others can relate to this....

Absolutely! I'm not a religious man , but I do believe in Sods Law. Plan A rapidly runs through the alphabet on a frequent basis. It is also usually accompanied with some Anglo Saxon "&*)%*%!!!!"

case in point, dug my compressor out plugged in the nail gun, working fine, oh hang on bit of a hiss from the air line, thought to my self, " I know, i'll very gently just nip that up", and I was being gentle, got the spanner on it, started to turn the nut on the fitting, and the casting for the solenoid switch came apart like soft cheese.... can't fix it as its in a location where it's not possible. so Plan B spare parts.... "wow how much !!!" which leads to plan C new compressor....

Yup I can totally relate matey , your not alone.

I have the same PT, and it's a design issue. If you loosen off all of those bolts except the last one then all (or most) of the tension between the cutting head and the blade/wedge is passed to that last bolt and it becomes impossible to move. You have to partially loosen each of the bolts in turn, rather than undoing any of them totally. If you get my drift. F.

Thanks Fitzroy, that's good to know for the future! Unfortunately as true to Ricks experience, my plans are rapidly accelerating through the alphabet. Despite my order for spare bolts going through and being processed, I received an email today saying that the supplier is out of stock and the bolts are no longer manufactured.
Oh well....I'm still fairly confident I can find some replacements as the thread pitch and size etc didn't seem that obscure.

Not woodworking.

I went to run a bath one morning in my old house before work, the hot tap stuck open, took off the top and very gently tried to free it with a pair of grips.

The top of the tap snapped off.

Ok I thought I will turn off the hot water, the valve in the airing cupboard was stuck as well, at this point the swearing was getting quite good.

I then turned off the mains and let the hot side drain down.

Rang work and explained the problem and said I would be late in as I needed to go and buy a new tap to fit that night so I could turn the water on.

When I got home that night I went to take off the bath panel, which was plywood.

The muppet who had fitted it had pinned and glued it on, I started to ease it of and just as I thought it was going to come away there was a crack and the corner fell off the fibre glass bath.

The only up side was when I refitted it, I raised the header tank and put in a shower.

But I could killed the previous owner who glued the bath panel on.

Oh dear, that does sound like an ordeal tomatwark, I'm not upset about the prospect of another week without a p/t, but a bath is a different matter.
Very helpful about the jet bolts, I might be being a bit of a dunce but I can't find anything on axi's website, or would it be more of a ring up and ask kind of product?

Cheers for the help!

Dave.L":yvao2m4z said:
Thanks Fitzroy, that's good to know for the future! Unfortunately as true to Ricks experience, my plans are rapidly accelerating through the alphabet. Despite my order for spare bolts going through and being processed, I received an email today saying that the supplier is out of stock and the bolts are no longer manufactured.
Oh well....I'm still fairly confident I can find some replacements as the thread pitch and size etc didn't seem that obscure.

This company (AHC in Camberley) have never in 30 years failed to have in stock the correct nut/bolt/screw for any job I've ever needed. They are truly brilliant so if you get stuck they're worth a try.

http://ahc-camberley.co.uk/

Latest posts

Back