Grrrrrrrrrrr cars :(

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlb40

Established Member
Reaction score
I was intending to get a new car at the beginning of next month as i need a bigger car than my current focus hatchback and it is getting uneconomical to repair. Various repairs plus MOT etc due in a few months would cost me over £500 on a £500 car. :(

So i had decided to get a new one. However today the exhaust manifold has split and i'm looking at close to £400 to have it replaced. It can't be bodged due to the location of the split and the fact the manifold / flexi is all in one. So it's looking like i have to spend the £400 on repairs only to send it to the scrap yard in a month. :twisted:
I can't sell it when i get the new one as i can't afford to insure 2 cars and have no where to store the present car anyway, and there won't be much tax/MOT left either.

Plus depending on what my regular mechanic says tomorrow i might have to lose a days work on friday to get it sorted. :(

Sorry rant over LOL

If you can pick up a second hand one and a set of gaskets, I'd be happy to fit it for you in exchange for a few beer tokens :)

Every little helps......

Could it not be welded/chemical bonded just as a quick fix, I have done with many times with varying degrees of success. The last time I did a weld on a cast exhaust manifold it lasted 3 years before it needed rewelding!!!

Matt

Thank you Steve for the offer. My regular place has got me a price for renewing just the most common failure point of £90. So will go with that.

Matt the split is in an awkward place and not easy to weld etc. For the price quoted now i might as well go with it. Plus its only a few hrs to fit, so can be back at work for lunch. :)

Carl i paid £500 for this Volvo 240 and had 10 years trouble free motoring out of it .They are great for work and if your thinking of a new old banger you wont go far wrong with one of these. I love um
IMG_0720_zpscba1a158.jpg

Cheers Bern :D

Cheers Bern. I paid 500 quid for my focus 3 years ago so haven't too bad with it.

I have to be careful with my choice of cars due to the area i live and insurance groups.
I might end up with a focus estate as i havent long had 4 new tyres fitted which still have loads of life left on them. Plus a week before christmas i got a brand new bosch battery for the car and it has a 4yr warranty on it. So if i get another focus all of those will be transplanted onto my new car. ;)

Berncarpenter":1idrlb1m said:
Carl i paid £500 for this Volvo 240 and had 10 years trouble free motoring out of it .They are great for work and if your thinking of a new old banger you wont go far wrong with one of these. I love um
IMG_0720_zpscba1a158.jpg

Cheers Bern :D

I've been short-changed!!!
When I bought a Volvo, I didn't get a work bench on the roof as standard!

Back