Grrrrrr... vibrrrrrrrration!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinka

Established Member
Reaction score
I finally got my garage at the new house sorted with lathe, mill and scroll saw, all in the man cave built by previous owner of the house. One third of the 27ft x 12ft garage was made into a room complete with satellite TV and projector screen, which I removed. Carpet tiled 18mm chipboard floor on 75mm battens to keep away the cold of the concrete. Ideal as a nice warm workshop, except when I switched the Hegner on, it began bouncing around the room. (I better point out the saw is on a Hegner stand with castors added by me.) I thought the saw had been damaged in transit, but I took it into the main garage space and it's perfect on concrete. Back into the man cave and once again it's bouncing all over, and if I leave it a few seconds it gets worse as the slight give in the floor and the castors starts working together - sympathetic vibration, I believe it's called. Going to remove the castors first to see if that helps, but if not, drastic measures may be called for. Not a happy camper at the moment. :(

Glad your getting sorted Martin and should be a great new workshop, could you place the hegner on a flagstone in the workshop? maybe add a sandbag?.
My workshop has concrete floor and used to have vinyl flooring but removed it in the main room and left it in the office room, I painted the concrete and looking a bit grotty at moment so needs painting again.
Have fun inbetween pulling ya hair out lol
Brian
ps if its any consolation my sodding bandsaw vibrates like twittery and still haven't solved it lol

if its going to be used in the same place all the time, cut a square out of the chipboard and lay a concrete plinth.

Claymore":2yibk1sv said:
Glad your getting sorted Martin and should be a great new workshop, could you place the hegner on a flagstone in the workshop? maybe add a sandbag?.

I intend keeping the saw out of the way when it's not being used, which is why I fitted castors in the first place. With my back, shifting a flagstone every time isn't on, nor is tripping over it. :D The sandbag is a good idea, but I have one thing to try first. At the old garage I had a rawlbolt in the floor and a long threaded bar through the stand to hold it down, though I am not sure the chipboard is secure enough to have the same effect. Sunnybob's idea is a good un, though I am more inclined to remove the floor altogether so that the lathe and mill are on concrete too. I could always just use the saw in summer in the main part of the garage. ;)

My workshop has concrete floor and used to have vinyl flooring but removed it in the main room and left it in the office room, I painted the concrete and looking a bit grotty at moment so needs painting again.
Have fun inbetween pulling ya hair out lol
Brian
ps if its any consolation my sodding bandsaw vibrates like twittery and still haven't solved it lol

It's 40 years since I had any hair to pull out. :)

Is it a variable speed Hegner? If so then you should be able to find a speed which doesn't have the constructive interference. Not an ideal solution but workable until a more permanent one is found?

Instead of reducing vibration by huge mass or rigidity, it may be possible to proceed in a more subtle (and possible cheaper) manner by tuning/damping the resonance away from your actual working speeds.

For example a carefully tuned system with a steel ball weighing 660 tons keeps the Taipei tower stable.

660 tons sounds like a LOT of steel, until you find out that the tower it's stabilising weighs 700,000 !!

So the tuning weight is around 1%.

BugBear

"It's 40 years since I had any hair to pull out. :)" Oooooops me and my big feet lol

another solution is to down a few shots of Jack D..... play some Stevie Ray Vaughan on full volume and then it won't matter how much it vibrates Martin as you won't give a toss lol
We have some old whisky barrel planters on our carpark and they still smell of whisky its like living next to a distillery.

Brian

Claymore":1fqxpg95 said:
"It's 40 years since I had any hair to pull out. :)" Oooooops me and my big feet lol

another solution is to down a few shots of Jack D..... play some Stevie Ray Vaughan on full volume and then it won't matter how much it vibrates Martin as you won't give a toss lol
We have some old whiskey barrel planters on our carpark and they still smell of whisky its like living next to a distillery.

Brian

I love whisky, Brian, but, sadly, I became teetotal 3.5 years ago. Mind you, I haven't stopped listening to SRV. ;)

Aggrajag, the saw is variable speed, but I like to use it at full speed. I did try it out to see what speed did away with the vibration, and it is down at 800rpm/spm. Much too slow for me, I can almost count the particles of sawdust at that speed. :mrgreen:

Bugbear, having weight suspended from the table, rather than sat on the shelf I made for it, might be a good idea. Mind you, I am convinced a big part of the problem is the castors. As soon as I get chance, I'll attack it with the grinder, remove the castors and see if that helps.

Find the bearer locations and mark them - see if you can position the wheels above the bearers.

Brian

finneyb":3bho0294 said:
Find the bearer locations and mark them - see if you can position the wheels above the bearers.

Brian

Already tried that, Brian, and it can make a difference, but doesn't cure it 100%. I am confident I can sort it, but it's just annoying that the tool I expected to give me least trouble gives me the most.

If your back is problematic - why not dispense with weights and Fix a webbing strapping to the floor and a ratchet clamp like they use to strap things down on vans. Saw could be brought out and put back when needed and you could clamp it down tight without worrying about putting your back out.

Stanleymonkey":q2pfma2j said:
If your back is problematic - why not dispense with weights and Fix a webbing strapping to the floor and a ratchet clamp like they use to strap things down on vans. Saw could be brought out and put back when needed and you could clamp it down tight without worrying about putting your back out.

Nice idea, it's certainly something to consider. I'm sure I have a couple of those cheap straps from Lidl or Netto.

NazNomad":q2pfma2j said:
Just a thought ... Are they locking castors? If not, try those.

They are locking castors, or two of the three are. I bought 2 plain and 2 locking for a project that got kicked into touch, so I used 3 of them on the Hegner stand. I did try to get a third locking one but couldn't find another the same size. Still, I think the problem lies in the play in the castor bearings. As i don't have another use for the castors if I remove them, I might first try welding the bearings solid. I hope it works, because when I fitted the castors, I had to chop 4" off the legs, and I think the bits might have got thrown out in the recent move.

Latest posts

Back