Gripping Stock On The Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eict the Viking wrote:
"Three points of contact is a bit worrisome: unless both the stock and the device are flat, something won't be gripping as well as the other two bits. "

Surely that's the whole point of using three; four might be a problem, but three points are always on the same plane.

The thread has a link to YouTube somewhere further up - you can clearly see how the thing is made: two adjustable troughs between three rubberized strips, with a handle on top. The blade surfaces in one of the troughs . They may grip. They may not. They may wobble on some stock. Two may grip and one may not, and that may change along the stock if it's not flat to start with (and why should it be?).

Another aspect is that, in use (as demonstrated, the blade emerges under the operator's forearm. Not something I'd be keen on, either.

Bearing in mind it's aimed at a world that thinks dado blades are smart, it can only lull people into a false sense of security, "I'm using one of these and the makers say it's very safe!" And so on. For all sorts of reasons, it strikes me as a nasty accident waiting to happen.

I'm sure other people's mileage varies, but for me it caused a cold shiver when I saw the video.

E.

Eric The Viking":5k7hodhk said:
Another aspect is that, in use (as demonstrated, the blade emerges under the operator's forearm. Not something I'd be keen on, either.

Quite. And when you think that many TS accidents are when the operator falls onto the blade, a G is going to be of no help whatsoever.

I think that anyone who thinks that a guard and RK are not necessary does not understand the risks. But it a free country, I guess. Except that when something does go wrong, my taxes (such as they are) are going to be spent putting right someone else's stupidity. So if for no other reason, I'd like to do my bit to prevent that from happening.

S

Back