Grinding wheel dresser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ1

Established Member
Reaction score
Go for the diamond one.
I tried the wheel type and it did a terrible job. Using a diamond dresser was a revelation.

I've used the first type of wheel dresser for many years and have found that the diamond and "stick" type are not so efficient and make a lot of dust.
I've made cutters for spindle moulders and 9x4 moulding machines and done time in the sawshop as part of my apprenticship
Like most things, you may prefer one to the other, try the diamond, they're cheapest and then the wheeled one.
The wheels open up the grit as well as shaping the stone, hence the wheels and spikes, you can actually buy the wheel and spike sets separate and keep the same handle.
Obviously, the cleaner the wheel is the better it will cut and keep cooler and not burn the steel, the wheel should be cleaned lightly and often and use a dedicated old one for general purpose "rough" work, if a tall possible.
Whereas the diamond will re shape the stone, but you would see by comparison the wheel not so clean or cutting well
and set up a fair old dust!
Regards Rodders

I use a diamond one and it works very well, but as Rodders says, they do make a lot of dust.

Thanks for the advice. I'll go for the diamond one first and see how I get on with that.

Just to clarify. Is it the rectangular diamond block that's being recommended? As I see that there's also something called a Diamond dresser pen/point tool (seen a bit further down the page on my second link above).

Back