Grinding Chisels & Plane irons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Jacob,

Like I said, I've nothing against freehand sharpening, only about people who fool themselves into thinking they are actually getting the same level of sharpness as those who use guides because that is what gets them the sharpness they require. Let us face it, I happen to remember from previous threads that some actually think they are getting ultimate sharpness by honing on a Norton Fine India stone and then tell others who might want to use a honing jig that they are wasting their time and money. These people are not arguing the same debate, because they are NOT sharpening. If they want to comment on a thread entitled 'how to make your tools dull, and just acceptable enough to cut at a push' then they can sing away till their hearts content, but cannot comment when people who genuinely want to better their skills and tools and find out how to truly sharpen. Even stropping after a fine India won't do it because the jump in grit size between the stone and the stopping paste is too big a leap. You will just polish the scratches. A stone that removes noticable amounts of steel is not fine enough for sharpening.

Yes there is such a thing as a tangent, but why not just hone the tangent and not the arc. You will remove less metal 'cause a curve is longer than the tangent between the two points. Or is that because you actually find it hard to hone a flat freehand? Try a guide, they work wonders! Not even the gravity of your argument is strong enough to cause a curve to become the shortest distance between two points--a bit of Einsteinium physics for you there.

Chippendale went bankrupt at least twice and died relatively poor, if history serves. As good as his furniture was, let us not confuse what is collectable and financially lucrative now a days with arguments as to what is the best work and therefore the way we should do things. Fine furniture these days is made to much closer tolerances than Chippendale was used to of could even hope to acheive and out of less compliant materials. We are not comparing apples to apples and should not try. Lie Nielsen technicians use scary sharp to sharpen their blades and finish off with a Japanese waterstone And use a Veritas honing guide. David Charlesworth uses waterstones and guides. The late Jim Kingshott actually designed and marketed honing guides for a while and certainly recommended them. These are peple who make fine tools, teach the best work and make reproduction Chippendale etc. furniture. They have a point.

Mike.

2vttkpl.jpg

(Didn't have a "Do Not Feed The Troll You Silly Sods" smilie handy, unfortunately. My bad.)

powertools":1wp24vnx said:
woodbloke":1wp24vnx said:
powertools":1wp24vnx said:
If only Thomas Chippendale had a video on youtube about the tools he used and how he looked after them we would all learn so much.
To be picci, which I usually am, Chippendale was a designer who produced the first book of furniture intended for the gentry of the 18c and not a maker of the stuff (as far as we know) He had lesser minions to do the making stuff for him...but I know what you mean :wink: - Rob

So your point is that minions in those days could produce high quality items with basic tools?
No, merely that TC wasn't a cabinet maker (or at least not that we know of) though I gather it's been a bit of a 'Holy Grail' quest to find something that he actually made, if at all
Edit - I stand corrected after seeing Jacob's Wiki link thingie. I should say that he's best remembered as the originator of the first furniture design book, with others following on later - Rob

woodbrains":3jaswnl4 said:

Yes there is such a thing as a tangent, but why not just hone the tangent and not the arc.
Well of course you do both. Including the arc (if you want to) because in the process you are backing off the bevel a touch and making it easier - with small or thin blades this saves any grinding.
You will remove less metal 'cause a curve is longer than the tangent between the two points.
Wrong.
If you are repeating the bevel, for every mm you take off the face (flat side), arc or tangent or any other shaped bevel takes off the same amount of metal, in point of fact. It's just geometry - to do with the area of a parallelogram or volume of a prism. Nothing to do with distance between points. You just need to think about it a bit more and do a bit of geometry revision. Hint - it's not the length/area of the surface it's the volume of the removed metal which counts.
I know I keep going on about it but this sort of simple misunderstanding does seem to dog these discussions to nobodies advantage. Just do a bit of geometry revision - you'll get there in the end (perhaps). It's about repeating the bevel - each mm off the face means taking off the same amount of metal whatever the shape of the bevel - as long as you are repeating it.
Have a go at a drawing. If you don't get it yourself, I'll do one.

To put it another way - if you trimmed the end of a chisel in 1mm cuts at 90º, or in 1mm cuts at 45º, you would remove the same amount of metal either way. 10 cuts takes you 10mm up the chisel, whatever the shape you are repeating, even if curved or covered in finely detailed erotic carvings, as long as you repeat them.

How sharp is sharp? Maybe we should discuss this as a newbie like myself doesn't have a taste of a professionally sharpened blade

xy mosian":301zq764 said:
Anyone who has handled plane irons and chisels for a while will get a feel for bevel angles. This will mean they can be formed, without jigs, by sight. But for a complete novice this can be difficult, .....
Many simple things are difficult for a novice, we all know that and have experienced it.
Tilting a chisel at about 30º isn't one of them however. Any fool can do it, if necessary with a bit of visual aid such as a 30/60 set square. I'm continually astonished that so many otherwise competent people have convinced themselves that this ridiculously simple little task is in any way difficult. Beyond belief!
NB you look at the chisel, not the bevel.

LuptonM":2ektljay said:
How sharp is sharp? Maybe we should discuss this as a newbie like myself doesn't have a taste of a professionally sharpened blade

usually stated if it can shave hairs of your arm its bleddy sharp

adidat

Jacob":26yht1cm said:
woodbrains":26yht1cm said:

Yes there is such a thing as a tangent, but why not just hone the tangent and not the arc.
Well of course you do both. Including the arc (if you want to) because in the process you are backing off the bevel a touch and making it easier - with small or thin blades this saves any grinding.
You will remove less metal 'cause a curve is longer than the tangent between the two points.
Wrong.
If you are repeating the bevel, for every mm you take off the face (flat side), arc or tangent or any other shaped bevel takes off the same amount of metal, in point of fact. It's just geometry - to do with the area of a parallelogram or volume of a prism. Nothing to do with distance between points. You just need to think about it a bit more and do a bit of geometry revision. Hint - it's not the length/area of the surface it's the volume of the removed metal which counts.
I know I keep going on about it but this sort of simple misunderstanding does seem to dog these discussions to nobodies advantage. Just do a bit of geometry revision - you'll get there in the end (perhaps). It's about repeating the bevel - each mm off the face means taking off the same amount of metal whatever the shape of the bevel - as long as you are repeating it.
Have a go at a drawing. If you don't get it yourself, I'll do one.

To put it another way - if you trimmed the end of a chisel in 1mm cuts at 90º, or in 1mm cuts at 45º, you would remove the same amount of metal either way. 10 cuts takes you 10mm up the chisel, whatever the shape you are repeating, even if curved or covered in finely detailed erotic carvings, as long as you repeat them.

Jacob, what the b'jesus has the surface area of a prism or a parallelogram got to do with it. If you hone an arc, then the width of the unfolded arc multipled be the width of the blade is the surface area. ( the surface area of a portion of a cylinder if you like. If you don't hone an arc of a circle but more eliptically it will be wider still) A chord of that same arc is a shorter distance, multiplied by the same blade width is a smaller surface area. Multiply this by the thickness of the metal removed gives us the volume. Which is greater for an arc, than a straight line. You have not even an understanding of basic high school geometry and you are actually trying to prove something by talking nonesense. And still your stones are not fine enough to hone a blade in any case. Can it for god's sake and let those who know how to do it and those of us who want to know how have an adult conversation. I get more sense out of the kids in my D and T class in school.

Mike.

woodbrains":18ikznjp said:
...... If you hone an arc, then the width of the unfolded arc multipled be the width of the blade is the surface area. (....... Multiply this by the thickness of the metal removed gives us the volume. Which is greater for an arc, than a straight line. .......
Wrong.
You are getting there though. Forget arcs for the moment - think of the volume of metal removed per mm of face, for different bevel angles.

Unless the surface area of the whetted surface amounts to serious yardage, the entire theory surrounding whether or not it takes more work to whet a flat or curved surface is a serious waste of drinking time. We're talking millimetres and fractions of millimetres on surfaces being dealt with during the honing process. :roll:

Who cares? :lol: As long as the edge being whetted is capable of serving it's intended purpose and holding a useable cutting edge it matters not how one produces such an edge. Move ahead with progressively finer grits, but you reach a point of deminishing returns once you pass 4K grit, whilst most planed surfaces are more than presentable enough if an edge is polished/whetted to approx 2K grit. This tends to produce a far finer surface than that produced using typical sanding grades of paper prior to finishing and begs the question as to whether or not it's totally necessary for all of the resulting angst surrounding progressively finer grits and whetting angles.

So Jacobs method (I'm sure he will correct me) is as follows
The Grimsdale Method (Large).jpg
This of course stops you from dubbing over at the expense of taking the cutting edge off of the medium reducing the amount of sharpening being done. I personally like a flat bevel for registration and repeatability.

Attachments

• The Grimsdale Method (Large).jpg
    The Grimsdale Method (Large).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 644
Tom K":vcdsdrde said:
So Jacobs method (I'm sure he will correct me) is as follows This of course stops you from dubbing over at the expense of taking the cutting edge off of the medium reducing the amount of sharpening being done.
Looks OK :lol:
It's simpler than everybody seems to think. If you aim to round under by going 1-2-3 as above you will maintain the angle at 1 with no risk of rounding over This may produce a rounded bevel as at 4 but it may not be very round if you just dip a bit.
There's no "expense" involved once you are repeating the same (rounded or flat) bevel, as the amount of metal removed removed is the same (for each mm of face/flat removed).
No "registration" of course but still repeatable - you just do it the same way every time and hold the chisel at 30º ish to start with.
Maybe I'm bad at explaining things. Sorry about that!

Good now I know how to do it can I just sharpen my own way? :lol:

Tom K":1fuddw46 said:
Good now I know how to do it can I just sharpen my own way? :lol:
Please, feel free! :lol:
It's worth having a bash at my way though, as it is quick and easy.
But please don't strain or upset yourself anybody, I know new ideas can cause a lot of anxiety.
Anyway I'm going back to bed. I only got up for a pineapple.

Back