Grinding Chisels & Plane irons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clk230":dfqh28ti said:
how can someone on an internet forum using an age old saying with a smiley after it offend anyone , if that offends you maybe internet forums aren't for you.

its only bl**** woodwork

It's "only" an insult to someone's career that benefited many. Just in case I'm being over sensitive, I would welcome a citation (in context) of that hoary old saying being used in any sense other than to imply teachers are ignorant, stupid or useless.

You may well wonder at Jacob's ability to offend... It's well practised and attested.

BugBear

It's not about the actual words, Jacob is very good at subtly winding up the people who don't agree with him. He also likes to use provocative statements. No problem in that, but understandably some people take it better than others.. Don't feed the troll I say.....!!

Cheers, Mark

markturner":3umhhikq said:
It's not about the actual words, Jacob is very good at subtly winding up the people who don't agree with him.
Only by way of retaliation! I don't set out to annoy anybody but there is a small group who seem to find everything I say annoying and they tend to be pretty aggressive and sarcastic. I am entitled to respond.
He also likes to use provocative statements. ......
Well true I admit it. Makes for livelier discussion. There is a very dominant orthodoxy amongst some forum members and it does no harm to challenge it IMHO.

There's been many a thread ruined recently by a few folk, 3 or so in particular. Please, no more or you'll all be going on a little holiday very soon.

Holiday?

Noel taking us to the Zoo tomorrow,
Zoo tomorrow,
Zoo tomorrow,
Zoo tomorrow,

we can play all day

we're going to the Zoo, Zoo, Zoo....

Pete :wink:

I think the one thing that this thread proves is that in woodworking there is no right or wrong way to do things.
The answer is to do things with the tools you have to hand or are prepared to buy and produce things you are happy with.

Racers":1efeyt1h said:
Holiday?

Zoo tomorrow,
Zoo tomorrow,
Zoo tomorrow,

we can play all day

Whatever you're on I'll have some..........
Seriously, why the zoo? It would be boringly familiar, no?

Racers":1fc4ugez said:
Holiday?

Zoo tomorrow,
Zoo tomorrow,
Zoo tomorrow,

we can play all day

Your showing your age there Pete 8-[

Cheers.

woodbrains":6jpg1ab1 said:
Hello Jacob,

Like I said, I've nothing against freehand sharpening, only about people who fool themselves into thinking they are actually getting the same level of sharpness as those who use guides because that is what gets them the sharpness they require.
Mike.

Woodie,

I am sure your post is not directed at me personally.
However, I do NOT fool myself ]into believing my tools are sharp. The fact is, I know when they aren't, and I do something about it.

I use a guide these days, but not because I am worried about the correct angles. I do so because freehand sharpening is difficult now, due to arthritis and tenosynovitis. Experienced freehand sharpeners automatically lock the arm into the right position for the edge they want. Maybe that's why I have my joint problems. I also moved to water-stones, because they do cut faster, and the sludge is easier to remove from my hands, without solvents. As someone said, the sharpening method you use is a personal choice. But unless you have used both methods, how do you compare one with the other?

The plain truth is, the angle of either bevel isn't as important as you seem to believe. The 25 degrees for instance, is only a ball-park figure. A few seconds of arc one way or the other, is neither here nor there; for either of the bevels. What is important is the state of the back. So, as long as that isn't like the surface of the moon you're okay. (the back doesn't need to be Mirror-bright' either. Just enough reflectivity with which to eyeball angles.)

I don't often see manufacturers of guides stressing the need for a truly flat back.

So, no I don't fool myself thank you. I don't notice any difference in the edge I get with a guide and the edge I used to get freehand. So, have you considered it might be the 'scary-sharp' advocates who have fallen for the hype of the manufacturers of all this equipment?

Regards
John

PS I haven't tried the 'ruler-trick', so I can't comment, in case you wondered! :wink:

I do not use guides but I do use a tormek when I can and appreciate the edge you get. But on site or on the job I do not carry a Tormek so hand honed is used. But to be honest if on the tormek I leave at 25/30 degree with no additional hone on the edge. By hand I do add the hone to the edge. My backs are not mirrir but they do have an acceptable finish shine.

I worked with others who only honed the back to keep flat and never messed with the hone on front. I found the edge acceptable but still preferred what I done above. The important thing here is there is no right or wrong, the edge I got or get now does the job I make my living at for the last 35 years.

jimi43":20db5qc6 said:
Congratulations on winning the rugby Vann...superb result!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Jim
Thanks Jimi. I went around to friends to watch on a big screen (about 3m x 5m - takes up the whole wall of the room 8) ).

I'm not so much of a rugby fan as to pay $1100 for a ticket to the final (hell, I could buy a nice Cliffie for that money :shock: ). I think the Froggies played better than we did (in the final), but overall (no All Black losses vrs two losses to the French) I think we deserved to win the Cup.

Oops, off topic (but at least not "childish").

Cheers, Vann

Back