Grinding Brass and Steel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I want to grind brass and steel using the Dremel drill.

a) What type / colour stone have you used and works well on both metals?
b) Different colour stone for the two different metals?
c) Are the cheap stones any better than name brands?

Many thanks.

a) What type / colour stone have you used and works well on both metals?
b) Different colour stone for the two different metals?
c) Are the cheap stones any better than name brands?

C - I would say not. I've found the kind of dark browny colour ones you get for cheap last the longest, though tbh I've worn out hundreds, but never really took stock of how long they lasted as id a giant box of them
A - As above. A kind of dark brown colour. The green ones last well too, but this is on brass, and steel is much harder in comparison
B- Whichever stone you can find that is hard as poss'. It's always going to be a case as above that working in steel is going to wear things out faster, so for that, not being clued up about steel/stone choice i cannot say.

On brass, the HSS steel burr grinding cutters do pretty well

Maybe also take a look on you tube, see what other makers are using.

Why would you ever want to grind Brass?

Brass pipes I used to make and sell in places like Glastonbury yonks ago. Started off using files, which took up a fair chunk of time till i got a dremel which allowed me to grind off the meat of it, then to hand files to refine the shapes.
I'd take about 20 or so to Glast' and depending on who wanted to buy I would be negotiable price wise. In the past I've swopped them for a good bottle of wine, and a pouch of tobacco. I could go to Glast' with 20 quid, jump the wall, and live the entire time , food, beer etc, and leave with a hundred quid in my pocket.
DSCF4198.JPG

Last edited:
C - I would say not. I've found the kind of dark browny colour ones you get for cheap last the longest, though tbh I've worn out hundreds, but never really took stock of how long they lasted as id a giant box of them
A - As above. A kind of dark brown colour. The green ones last well too, but this is on brass, and steel is much harder in comparison
B- Whichever stone you can find that is hard as poss'. It's always going to be a case as above that working in steel is going to wear things out faster, so for that, not being clued up about steel/stone choice i cannot say.

On brass, the HSS steel burr grinding cutters do pretty well

Maybe also take a look on you tube, see what other makers are using.

Brass pipes I used to make and sell in places like Glastonbury yonks ago. Started off using files, which took up a fair chunk of time till i got a dremel which allowed me to grind off the meat of it, then to hand files to refine the shapes.
I'd take about 20 or so to Glast' and depending on who wanted to buy I would be negotiable price wise. In the past I've swopped them for a good bottle of wine, and a pouch of tobacco. I could go to Glast' with 20 quid, jump the wall, and live the entire time , food, beer etc, and leave with a hundred quid in my pocket.
View attachment 182069

I was one of the Bikers who "patrolled" the perimeter, then up to the gate when things
started getting a bit emotional 😍 😍;)
Many moons and a lifetime ago now, though... Happy daze (y)

I was one of the Bikers who "patrolled" the perimeter, then up to the gate when things
started getting a bit emotional 😍 😍;)
Many moons and a lifetime ago now, though... Happy daze (y)

During on trip I saw something that was pretty incredible, and well played to the guy for his quick thinking and execution.
It was the year Plant&Page played so 1995 I think.

We'd a small group, led there funnily enough by a Glast' security guard for a small fee, to be helped over.
It's a big bloody wall 😲 10'-12' I'd say, but not insurmountable to a determined individual.

There was maybe a dozen or so making the breach, and the security guards were milling round trying to stop people.

One of the security had parked his small van right next to the wall and some bloke near me made a dash for it. Jumped on the bonnet, onto its roof and hopped over. Security guard is standing there with the look of resignation :LOL:

My funny bit was I'd got there by 'following' a group of Italian students, and one of them gave me a lift up, and the last thing I remember was I'd put one of my boots on his shoulder, and I just caught a glimpse of him looking at his nice fancy ultra clear bright yellow jumper after I'd left a huge boot print of mud/clay I'd picked up from walking across the muddy field to get there :LOL:

It was the epitome of a grimace, such a look of utter disgust mixed with dismay.

Though it might also have been the fact I was wearing a kilt, and being a true Scot, had no undies on, so him looking up would have presented him with a sight to behold :eek:

Fun times indeed. Spent the time in the Acoustic tent(they actually allowed me to sleep in it overnight), drinking tea, entertaining record executives with Glaswegian stories and goes on my home made coconut bong.

During on trip I saw something that was pretty incredible, and well played to the guy for his quick thinking and execution.
It was the year Plant&Page played so 1995 I think.

We'd a small group, led there funnily enough by a Glast' security guard for a small fee, to be helped over.
It's a big bloody wall 😲 10'-12' I'd say, but not insurmountable to a determined individual.

There was maybe a dozen or so making the breach, and the security guards were milling round trying to stop people.

One of the security had parked his small van right next to the wall and some bloke near me made a dash for it. Jumped on the bonnet, onto its roof and hopped over. Security guard is standing there with the look of resignation :LOL:

My funny bit was I'd got there by 'following' a group of Italian students, and one of them gave me a lift up, and the last thing I remember was I'd put one of my boots on his shoulder, and I just caught a glimpse of him looking at his nice fancy ultra clear bright yellow jumper after I'd left a huge boot print of mud/clay I'd picked up from walking across the muddy field to get there :LOL:

It was the epitome of a grimace, such a look of utter disgust mixed with dismay.

Though it might also have been the fact I was wearing a kilt, and being a true Scot, had no undies on, so him looking up would have presented him with a sight to behold :eek:

Fun times indeed. Spent the time in the Acoustic tent(they actually allowed me to sleep in it overnight), drinking tea, entertaining record executives with Glaswegian stories and goes on my home made coconut bong.
They were good times indeed. The world was a better place. (y) (y) 😍

Latest posts

Back