Grinder dressing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpoonsbySven

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Wasn't sure whether to reply to BigBud78's Grinder thread on up to date grinder info or start a new thread, but opted for the latter.

I've been looking at the T-shaped diamond dressers suggested by Random Orbital Bob- and wanted to ask if anyone had advice re brand etc, or are they all much the same? They range in price from £2.85 (Fleabay) to £10ish (Axminster). They look pretty much identical in the photos. While I'm happy to pay for quality that lasts (well, as much as I can afford), I'm also keen to avoid wasting money (OK, I'm tight!).

BigBud78, those jigs look great- check out Cap'nEddie's youtube vid at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i9RDnJHz9g

Afraid I can't help you with any up-to-date grinder info, BigBud. Good luck!

Cheers,
Sven

The £8 one I referred to was the Axy one. It's been brilliant I have to say. No experience whatsoever with the cheapies but my guess is they will be rubbish....but if it's only £2 you're not risking much by just trying it out are you.

Give it a whirl I would and tell us what you think. :)

I bought a cheap diamond knife grinder from Lidl years ago and it's still going strong so don't assume if it's cheap it must be rubbish, it may not be!

If you ever pass by a road crew sawing pavement ask them for a worn out blade. When you get it home use an angle grinder to slice it into pie shaped slices starting at each of the expansion joints. Plasma cutter works too if you have access to one. Tape up the point or make a wood handle for safety. That will give you and all your buddies enough diamond sharpeners to last a lifetime.

Pete

Inspector":scco04yn said:
If you ever pass by a road crew sawing pavement ask them for a worn out blade. When you get it home use an angle grinder to slice it into pie shaped slices starting at each of the expansion joints. Plasma cutter works too if you have access to one. Tape up the point or make a wood handle for safety. That will give you and all your buddies enough diamond sharpeners to last a lifetime.

Pete
Being an ex plant mechanic any diamond blades that get returned are worn down to the metal so no diamond left most road crews tend to hire the machines and blades over here.

But a good idea if by chance you can get one :lol:

Random Orbital Bob":2fz489bv said:
The £8 one I referred to was the Axy one. It's been brilliant I have to say.
+1 same here. Easy, effective and fast to use. Only £1 p&p until the end of the month too.

Axi all the way. Now on number two after 5 years heavy use of the original one.

I got one of the stone type ones free with my grinder. It looks like a bit of ferrous breeze block. Absolute gash, and possibly why it was free. :)
Bought a silverline one on fleabay for about thirty bob or so in 2012. Still doing exactly what is says on the tin/tub/box/blister-pack.................

Latest posts

Back