Greetings from the Highlands - I'm on the lookout for Meddings MB4 MKII parts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtbagd89`

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a workshop enthusiast and enjoy getting stuck into projects! I've recently acquired a Meddings MB4 drill which I'm excited about but it has various issues I need to sort out.
DSCF0956.JPG

- It has a head raising mechanism (HRM) but sadly part of the casting is cracked so I'm on the lookout for either a replacement HRM mechanism, or a table I can use instead.
DSCF0954.JPG
DSCF0957.JPG

- The starwheel hub is damaged so I'm looking for a replacement for this too. The starwheel hub is the part the spoke handles/cranks thread into.
DSCF0959.JPG

- The motor pulley has been replaced at some point, and it's mounted the wrong way around. I'm hoping to source an original part to install.

- The belt cover is missing so I'm looking for one of these too. If I can't find anything I may try and fabricate something out of plywood...

If you happen to have any of these parts lying around your garage/shed and you'd be willing to part with them, it would be great to hear from you!

Unfortunately, I can't help you with any of the parts. I am keen to try and weld the HRM up if you are not going to use it/repair it/scrap it.

The starwheel hub could be repaired with a bit of welding too. It is hard welding cast iron and you need expensive nickel rods but not impossible.

I repaired a Meddings footplate/stand plate a few days ago.

IMG_20220720_173908.jpg

IMG_20220720_173930.jpg

IMG_20220720_201351.jpg

IMG_20220721_091753.jpg

IMG_20220721_124915.jpg

IMG_20220721_175359.jpg

IMG_20220721_175405.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I spent most of my younger years living on farms near Inverness, I used to live at Inverarnie, near Farr. A really great place to be brought up. The place has changed a lot. My favourite drinking place when I was at school was the Gellions, a pie and a pint, I'm sure it was 1/11.
That looks like a well abused drill. I have the MF4 Mk iii, they are well built machines. I'm sorry, I have no spares. I think welding would be the way to go for the HRM if you can't find spares or a donor machine. Good luck with the search.

Welcome to the forum. I spent most of my younger years living on farms near Inverness, I used to live at Inverarnie, near Farr. A really great place to be brought up. The place has changed a lot. My favourite drinking place when I was at school was the Gellions, a pie and a pint, I'm sure it was 1/11.
That looks like a well abused drill. I have the MF4 Mk iii, they are well built machines. I'm sorry, I have no spares. I think welding would be the way to go for the HRM if you can't find spares or a donor machine. Good luck with the search.
Ah yes, I know all of those places. If that's old money you're talking then you'll have known them quite a few years before me. It's a lot busier up here than it used to be, and it's going to get a lot busier again when the A9 is all duelled.

You're right about the drill having a hard life. In hindsight I probably should've walked away from it, but it was local and not many of them come up around here.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the HRM. I've stripped it down and the front plate holding the handle is also broken, and the pinion gear teeth are pretty well worn...

Back