Great tip for removing a screw with a stripped head >>

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OscarG

Established Member
Reaction score
I was replacing some old window locks and couldn't get a screw out with a chewed up head.

8pm on a Sunday, can't get any tools so out of desperation for ideas, I turned to YouTube and found this >>

https://youtu.be/_mTFQbaT3Zc?t=83

This fella demonstrates many methods but with exception of one all require gadgets, none of which I had.

The first one has a rubber band, utter nonsense I thought, how the f*** is that gonna work? Had nothing to lose though so gave it a shot and.... bloody hell it did work :shock:

I've no idea how, guess the rubber compressed and made it super grippy but the bloody screw started turning.

I think it's one of the most surprisingly useful tips I've ever seen so thought I'd share it (hammer)

If someone had told me they had a set of left-handed drill bits I'd have thought it was an April Fool.
I've never had much joy with those screw extractor sets, but the elastic band trick is great.
Thanks!

What an amazing video, thanks for posting. I’ve used one or two of these methods before but never seen the rubber band method. Can’t wait to give it a try. I went over to the dark side today and spent some time working with some mild steel bar. Nearing the end of my project I managed to break a 1/4 inch BSW tap. After a lot of swearing and trying to recover the snapped off buried bit I left the workshop and went upstairs for a brew and to calm down whilst thinking about starting the project again tomorrow. Whilst having my brew I googled how to remove a broken tap. 5 minutes later I was back in the shop, and 2 minutes after that I had removed the offending bit. Not too much damage, and I was able to retap the hole and complete the project. Google is majic !

Having been in the same situation, on occasions, could you reveal your method please?

Bod

Been watching his channel for a couple of years.
What I like about him is that he's been there & done everything unlike some who think they know how. A very practical bloke.

Bod":2jqxwagl said:
Having been in the same situation, on occasions, could you reveal your method please?

Bod

My method was something like this...

Placed the rubber band over the screwhead, pressed it in firmly with bit in my drill whilst thinking "why am I wasting my time doing this? This is totally stupid, I'm being trolled, the youtube man is probably laughing at you.." slowly turned the drill whilst keeping good pressure and bloody hell, the screw started turning.

Absolutely gobsmacked. :shock:

It's one thing passing a tip on to someone else but who first tried this? "I can't get this screw undone, I'll try a rubber band", it seems like utter madness.

Makes you wonder what other miracles can be done with household items! :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting that, it's salted away in the old grey matter, going to give it a try so it's remembered.

OscarG":2ssy05q6 said:
Bod":2ssy05q6 said:

Bod

Placed the rubber band over the screwhead, pressed it in firmly with bit in my drill whilst thinking "why am I wasting my time doing this? This is totally stupid, I'm being trolled, the youtube man is probably laughing at you.." slowly turned the drill whilst keeping good pressure and bloody hell, the screw started turning.

It's one thing passing a tip on to someone else but who first tried this? "I can't get this screw undone, I'll try a rubber band", it seems like utter madness.

Makes you wonder what other miracles can be done with household items! :mrgreen:

I thought he was referring to removing a broken tap.

Well if the broken tap is what was being asked about, I used the brittle and very hard nature of the tap to advantage and used a centre punch to shatter it. It wa in a 1/4 inch steel bar. I expected it to damage the 3/4 already cut thread, but it didn’t. I ran the second tap though and the threads are perfect, and the job was saved.

phil.p":rqv3hdd3 said:
OscarG":rqv3hdd3 said:
Bod":rqv3hdd3 said:

Bod

I thought he was referring to removing a broken tap.

Ooops... I didn't read it properly.

Sorry!

Latest posts

Back