Granddad's Tool Cabinet, Continues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mezzanine Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned in a previous thread I have come into possession of my grand fathers tool cabinet and am in the process of getting as many of the tools back into useable condition.
I have sorted out the set of 5 Robert Sorby (Kangaroo) firmers and I must say that I am converted to old chisels as they have taken a sharper edge easier than any of my more modern chisels; plus the fact they seem to have a far better weight and balance to them.
My next selection to refurb is the hand saws. Now this poses a few questions that I could do with some direction on.
There is a nice pistol grip tenon saw with a lovely heavy brass back, it does however need the domed screws replacing in the handle as they are worn beyond repair causing a "wobble" can and where do I get some replacements from? The saw has no makers name on it so I just need it to be a practical repair rather than a genuine one.
The rip saw is made by E.T.Roberts & Lee, Don Works Tottenham it is in as new condition but is as blunt as can be. Should I try to sharpen myself as a complete novice or is it a good enough saw to send to be done by a professional?
The answer to this may prompt another question, does anyone know of a good saw doctor in the devon area?
Regards
Rob

It's not too hard to sharpen them yourself. There is some good info online. Once you have the knack you can modify your saws to suit your work. For instance my E. Garlick saw came with 10 TPI but I filed all the old (blunt) teeth away and cut new ones at 14TPI, now works perfectly. If you want to give it a go I can give you a few pointers. A big rip saws the easiest place to start. Another thing, I have good eyesight but still need glases for my 16 TPI dovetail saw so maybe a pair of cheap reading glases is in order, at any rate try to work in good daylight. And for Sorbys sake get yourself some good saw files before atempting it.

Mezzanine Rob":1gmvm2i3 said:
There is a nice pistol grip tenon saw with a lovely heavy brass back, it does however need the domed screws replacing in the handle as they are worn beyond repair causing a "wobble" can and where do I get some replacements from?
Try Thomas Flynn & Co. They have solid brass saw nuts at 1 pound each or brass plated steel at 50p each. I think Workshop Heaven also stock them.

Cheers, Vann.

Back