Granby Bullnose plane... any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrris303

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a small bullnose plane but haven't got a massive amount of money to play with. There are loads of Stanley No.75s on ebay for around £20 but I'm a bit suspicious of anything which is that cheap (Please correct me if I'm wrong though- I'd love to get a decent plane for £20).
I have seen little brass ones made by Granby, but I can't find much info about the company. The planes themselves look well used but quite nice, and I tend to assume that a tool which has had a good innings and hasn't fallen apart yet is probably a better investment than something brand new.
Anyway if anyone's got any ideas they'd be much appreciated. Cheers.

Harrris303":f66gjkan said:
Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a small bullnose plane but haven't got a massive amount of money to play with. There are loads of Stanley No.75s on ebay for around £20 but I'm a bit suspicious of anything which is that cheap (Please correct me if I'm wrong though- I'd love to get a decent plane for £20).
I have seen little brass ones made by Granby, but I can't find much info about the company. The planes themselves look well used but quite nice, and I tend to assume that a tool which has had a good innings and hasn't fallen apart yet is probably a better investment than something brand new.
Anyway if anyone's got any ideas they'd be much appreciated. Cheers.

The Granby's look like a copy of the Stanley #90J; that'd be OK, or at least better than a #75 (see recent thread).

I might gently question the need for a bullnose rebate plane at all though; they're of limited application.

BugBear

Cheers for the reply. Well I was thinking of getting a small plane (with a full width blade) for tidying up joints and getting into tight corners etc. I'm doing a joinery diploma and my tutor seemed to think that a small bullnose plane was a really good tool for a joiner to have...
Obviously the limited application thing is partly why I don't want to spend loads on it though.

Harrris303":2lgjak60 said:
Cheers for the reply. Well I was thinking of getting a small plane (with a full width blade) for tidying up joints and getting into tight corners etc. I'm doing a joinery diploma and my tutor seemed to think that a small bullnose plane was a really good tool for a joiner to have...
Obviously the limited application thing is partly why I don't want to spend loads on it though.

Does the college not have one you could use/try before splashing the cash?

BugBear

The #90J bullnose plane is a very practical little plane to have among your kit and I'd definitely have no qualms about picking one up (I own and use one). You'd be surprised by just how versatile they are e.g. Fine tuning beading, skirting board joints after fitting, adjusting minor distortions in laminate flooring, etc., although I tend to prefer the Record #077. :wink:

bugbear, not a bad idea to ask if the college has got any to try, I'm not back there til after xmas but I'll definitely ask.

Sort of sounds like Gazpal is echoing my tutor though. He basically said that if he could have 2 planes in his bag, he'd have a standard smoothing plane and a bullnose plane for detail work, which seemed to make sense to me.

Anyway cheers for the comments guys, my first post so very useful.

I like my Record 077 - its got a shim between the nose and body that you can remove/fit to give two different mouth openings and you can remove the nose completely and turn it into a chisel plane.

BTW - anybody got a spindle and nut for the blade adjustment knocking about?

I can't find mine anywhere. :(

Tony Spear":3rgr5mzo said:
I like my Record 077 - its got a shim between the nose and body that you can remove/fit to give two different mouth openings

Ahem - You should have two shims, giving a total of four different mouth openings.

I always thought the shim idea was a good one, much cheaper to implement than a screw adjustable sliding nose.

BugBear

bugbear":3ew97sp6 said:
Tony Spear":3ew97sp6 said:
I like my Record 077 - its got a shim between the nose and body that you can remove/fit to give two different mouth openings

Ahem - You should have two shims, giving a total of four different mouth openings.

I always thought the shim idea was a good one, much cheaper to implement than a screw adjustable sliding nose.

BugBear

Absolutely right BB, my mistake. I forgot about the very thin one that you can hardly see if there's a bit of gunk on the body! :?

Back