Google Picaso2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEP

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Does anyone use Picaso2 from Google? Just opened it on my computer and it looks quite interesting, but it appears to be showing duplicate folders with the same photos in each. Can anyone help with this program?

Hi Tam

I have been using Picasa for a few years now and really like it. However I am not sure why your pictures are showing up twice. It could happen if you had two hard drives with your pictures copied to the second drive as a backup. Then Picasa would scan both folders and show them twice. You can get it to restrict the folders it scans to help if this is the cause.

Cheers

Gareth

I used Picasa for quite a while but recently removed it as I did not like the way that it works. For example, if you edit pictures in Picasa, it creates a folder called "Originals" and keeps you original pic in addition to the edited version. Good on one hand as, in theory, it allows you to go back to the original. However, do a lot of editing and you could soon end up with lots of extra images. This could be the source of your duplicates. Also, I did not like the way it creates "picasa.ini" files in all the image folders. If you empty* the folder in Picasa and then try to delete it (the folder), it does not allow you. On the whole I think it's trying to be straightforward to use but screws it up by trying to be just a bit too clever. Not really a product the truly belongs in the Google stable in my opinion.

* Empty it of images, which you can see in Picasa - unlike the .ini file...

I tested a number of image management pieces of software and found irritating side-effects with all of them except Exif Pro. Free to download, however, you get a splash screen that you may eventually want to get rid of by purchasing. I am so impressed with this little gem.

Many thanks for that people, I'm still of two minds whether to continue with Picasa or take it off. I tend to do all my work with PSP, so don't really need it other than I though it may help to locate the odd photo amongst the many that I have on my machine.

Will check out 'Exif Pro' to see what's it like.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back