Good price / supplier for feather edge for playhouse?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm been set the task of building a playhouse for the toddlers. I've found a plan I'm going to roughly work to since I've never built a shed-like structure:

Image1-1_edited-1.jpg

But I'm a bit stunned at the price of feather edge. I'm getting quoted around £1 / 100mm wide 2m length. I need about 100 of these so that makes the playhouse a bit expensive for what it is with all the other wood I need too?

Does this sound reasonable? Is there something else I should be using?

Thanks.

Gidon

I'll be interested to see how your playhouse progresses - I too have been set the task of making one for the little'un... but that's looking more like a next-summer project for me currently.

I dug out an old invoice from 28/03/07 when I rebuilt my fence. - For 100mm featheredge, It appears I was charged £29.55+VAT per 100metres... and I got to choose what lengths I got.. (1.2, 1.5 or 1.8 metres)

Cheers,

Fecn.

OK - thanks Fecn - that sounds a little more like it. I will try and take some pics. I've rang around everywhere here and it's hard to get quite what I want (in stock) and 50p / metre seems to be about the cheapest :(.
Because I would like to get this built a little more quickly I was thinking of using the cheap T&G cladding boards they have at B&Q - would that be suitable?
And I also may just felt the roof.
Cheers
Gidon

gidon":2w6gd1cc said:
I was thinking of using the cheap T&G cladding boards they have at B&Q - would that be suitable?

As I discovered on my workshop, the catch with using T&G is that rainwater can will sit in the horizontal cracks, and that's ultimately going to make the wood age (or rot) a lot quciker. For a playhouse however, a few coats of weatherproof paint might provide a good solution.

Well I was out buying stuff when you posted this and bought a shed load of T&G cladding from B&Q (very cheap probably awful stuff)! I read on some packs in Wickes that it could be used for shed cladding if you point the tongue upwards which makes sense. Time will tell - but it will be painted so that should give some decent protection.
It's all good practice - I need to rebuild my dilapidated grown-up shed :).
Cheers
Gidon

Hi Gidon,

The shed I built at my last house was made with T&G boards and that was fine. As you say, if you have the tongue pointing upwards, you shouldn't get any problems.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I paid £0.37p per m for 6" treated featheredge from Travis Perkins. However, this was for 750m and it was also in 2003!

I imagine that with all the fence panel shortage this year that featheredge is taking the slack.

Cheers

Tim

Gidon I used these recently for some fencing, I appreciate it's not close to you but might help in your pricing. I have bought slightly cheaper on a collect cash only basis but there was an 8 week backlog.
EDIT in my early morning haze just twigged you have bought already, anyway may still be of help to someone :)
http://www.thomson-sawmills.co.uk/products.html

Alan

Thanks Alan
I think I was being a little unrealistic on what price I could get the feather edged pine for. And also how much I needed for such a small shed.
I'll let you know how I get on with the (very very) cheap value B&Q cladding ...
Cheers
Gidon

Back