good paint for machine restorations?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I'm considering sprucing up my new-old Woodfast lathe and wondered what folks have used in the past to successfully paint cast iron.
It's currently a medium green and i'd like for it to be a dark-ish grey - not too fussed on specifics
I'd also like to know if anyone has any tips on re-painting the decals (they aren't stickers)?

cheers all
joe

p.s i will happily post progress pictures if there is any interest?

I like to use quick drying machinery enamel which can be bought from a motor factors, I've got a good place that supplies all of the local mechanics and car spray guys. You can get a litre for around £10 mixed to any RAL colour. You can brush it or thin and spray it. It uses synthetic thinners or I just use cheap chuck away brushes and rollers.
If the old paint is in good order I just lightly sand, if your starting from bare metal I use a zinc primer which you can get by the litre or in cans.

For any decals I like to spray them with a rattle can then use a block of wood wrapped in fine sand paper to remove the paint from the raised parts.

Everyone likes a wip :D

I used paint from the Craftsman range to refurbish a Dominion morticer,excellent paint recommended by people on this forum.It was expensive but well worth the money.Regards Kevin.

I like to use Tractol machine enamel which is one pack so nothing fancy apart from a proper mask with paint filters. Their primer / undercoat which I always use with the enamel can go straight onto the cast iron / over existing paint. Its good for brush, airless, HVLP and conventional spraying. I’ve always had great results with it. I prefer it to other machine enamels as you use white spirit as the thinner for both the enamel and undercoat.

If I need the odd can I buy it off eBay, if I need a few litres I order direct from the manufacturer

thank-you all! great advice, Wallace i think you're mistaken - everyone likes *your* WIP's, Mine will be a testament to averageness ;) In all seriousness, i think i will need to take a lot of dried glue off, but if i sand/smooth over the areas where paint has chipped to you think it will produce a good finish? or shall i have at it and strip it back?

If theirs big deep chips then when you paint over they will stick out especially if you use a full gloss. You can get enamel in semi gloss which hides loads of imperfections. You could always use a bit body filler, or you could just sand the chips a bit prime then topcoat.

That craftsmaster place is a good resource but a bit pricey. There RAL enamels are nearly 3 times the price you can get at a back street motor factors and their zinc primers are twice what I pay.

Paragon paints are about the same price as Craftsmaster ie expensive.
A friend of mine did a lathe in Tekaloid enamel & it came out really well, quite a bit cheaper. you can get that from Smith & Allan. I jusy ordered some for a machine im doing so see how it goes!

Find your local agricultural suppliers, tractor paint is ideal! Massey ferguson stoneleigh grey is what I painted my lathe with. Its really hard wearing and goes on really nicely with a brush.

Latest posts

Back