Good buy???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody67

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all - Recently got a bargain (or did I???) hence the post! A set of 5 hss Rexon turning chisels - skew, gouge, 2 scrapers (I think! 1 round ended and the other square) and a parting chisel. £33.20 down from £49.99. From of all places................B&Q! I haven't tried them yet by the way.

Ques 1. Are they any good? Can't find much info on them :(

Ques 2. If they are any good, was this a bargain?

Ques 3. What should I use the scrapers for? The square ended one just looks like a bloomin big chisel!

Thanks all

Mark

Hi Mark, as they are HSS they should work OK, and as long as they do work it seems like a good deal, only you will be able to tell once you use them. As with most sets though you only get a couple of chisels you use regular, probably the parting tool and gouge will be used often, the rest will usually sit on a shelf for a while.

I'm must say that I did exactly the same when I started out and have still got 2 scrapers from that set, and thats over 10 years ago. The best way is to only buy tools when and where needed, that way they get used from day one, and you buy reasonable quality.

There is always a use for scrapers, but generally it is little and not very often so they do last a long time. Also if you need a different/special shape at any time just grind one to fit.

Woody,

I have seen the same set in my local B&Q and IIRC, the price was pretty similar.

If you compare buying a 3-piece Marples set for £20+Vat at my local supplier, which I did the other week, the B&Q price is much better. I got a spindle gouge, skew chisel & parting tool in the 3-piece.

As I already had 3 out of the 5 tools, parting with 30+ sheets for the two extras would have been silly, but had I seen them before buying the Marples set, I think it would have been an easy choice.

If it is the same set I have seen in B&Q they are probably OK but the gouge is a spindle gouge that is fluted all the way to the handle. Don't try and use it for face plate work, it wouldn't bne strong enough.

Pete

Scrapers, whatever the shape, are most frequently used to improve a finish - in usage terms/times they sit between a chisel/gouge and the sanding block/pad/sheet.

A sharp edge and a very light touch, with a suitably trailing contact, may well do the trick on the inside of a bowl/dish/plate/box.

If it's a spindle piece then I'd recommend you persevere with the skew (you may have to be a very persevering sort of chap!) - it can be a bit of a little devil to master but in your newly skilled hands the skew finish will take your breath away! I kid you not, you will not even need a light sandpapering for some.

If you've got room to use a scraper on a spindle (I mean any between centres piece) then you've got room for a skew too.

Think of the skew as a plane. It can give just as good a finish, place it aginst the wood so that it has the shortest edge on the rest and gently bring it to a 45 degree angle cutting. Go easy though as catches can be spectacular, practice at slower sapeeds til you get the hang of it.

Pete

If you're going to use the skew Mark then get someone (who knows how to use one!) to show you... even if you have to pay.... it will save you an awful lot of frustration, trepidation and fearful moments!!

Skews generally perform best (and in my view, are easier to handle .. once you know how) at higher speeds.

oldsoke":616hb7cm said:
If you're going to use the skew Mark then get someone (who knows how to use one!) to show you... even if you have to pay.... it will save you an awful lot of frustration, trepidation and fearful moments!!

Skews generally perform best (and in my view, are easier to handle .. once you know how) at higher speeds.

I agree that they do work best at higher speeds but I know when I started having a go with one it was scary when it caught and I practiced at a slower speed until I got the angles right. If this is bad advice I am more than happy to bow to your more experienced wisdom ( no sarcasm in this)

Pete

It's not bad advice Pete; in the absence of a tutor it's very sensible!

I'll edit my post to emphasize the important bit: "and in my view, are easier to handle .. once you know how"

If you can get to the Harrogate show I'm sure you will get plenty of free advice and even a demo with any of the tools. the professionals really are friendly and helpful.

I've come across a set of tools 8 in the box made or called Neilson, they are have a very nice feel to them,They cost about £65.00 or 100euro over here. They are HSS steel and about 1/8" thick . Has anybody come across these,I bought a second hand lathe and it had a set of tools , but they are more like wood chisles in thickness and very light. If anybody has seen these Neilson or know of them would be glad of any Info. Regds Boysie.

Back