Good book on Routers...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 5027

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Could someone recommend a good book to read on using routers... Whilst I know the basics, I would love to have something to hand I can go through and read about... Yes, kinda like bedtime reading :)

I've seen a few around on Amazon, but I'd rather ask you guys (and gals)...

Paul.

There are a couple which should cover everything you need to know

Woodworking with the Router
Bill Hylton
ISBN-10: 1861081286

Router Magic
Bill Hylton
ISBN-10: 0762101857

Also have a look around Pat Warner's site
http://patwarner.com/

and consider purchasing some of his publications

I'd second the books by Bill Hylton. I have Woodworking with the Router, which he produced with Fred Matlack. It has loads of good practical stuff in it including detailed plans for building your own router tables (horizontal and vertical...see the other thread on horizontal RTs). I have built the regular router table from these plans and and it has worked out very well. The design is similar to the New Yankee Workshop one.

Funnily enough I re-read Hylton's Router magic and there are some fantastic tips and jigs in there. I honestly think the thee sources I mentioned above are all you need.

Many thanks for all of your suggestions...

I was going past WHSmiths, popped in and they had "Woodworking with the Router" (ISBN 1-86108-128-6). It has some marks on it, so I think I paid £14 - 2006 re-print. All looks very good.

I did think I was being REALLY sad buying this, but when my girlfriend purchased a bird book - with accompanying CD of Bird calls - I felt a whole lot better...

I'll start reading tonight, after walking the dogs !!

Paul.

TREND have a new book COMPLETE ROUTING written by Alan Holtham. I think its pretty good and easy to follow, with excellent photography. It moves along at a decent pace so you don't get bored reading it.

As an ex National newspaper photo journalist and a very amateur woodworker I can view Complete Routing from both perspectives (no pun intended).

Yes, I think that's one of the books I've got. There's some very good information inside but, some of it seems to be repeated in the Wood Magazine book mentioned earlier.

Back