Good adjustable Spanners?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have a full socket set, however too often these either don't fit because of where the nut is or becasue its a weird size (usaully both) so a spanner is the only option. I would love to have a full set of fixed spanners, however I don't think I would be able to afford or store the vast range of sizes needed for what I do (takening apart old machines mostly).

That lockable adjustable spanner is the short of thing I was hoping for. I am surprised that is the only such design about.

Bahco has been recommended to me for spanners before. It seems they are a good all round tool company, a rare thing these days.

Anyone with plenty of time on their hands might like to watch Mr Pete 222 (aka Tubal Cain) doing a little destruction testing on some adjustables on his YouTube channel here:

https://youtu.be/RibpjPfg-NY

He discusses the 'right and wrong' ways to turn an adjustable and shows how they can fail (and how hard they are to break) but you can also see the commonest fault with adjustables. Because their jaws can open up when strained hard, they will tend to round off the corners of a nut, making it even harder to get a grip on. (Look at the rounding effect on his steel bar.)

This is probably one reason why historically there have been so many thousands of different designs of adjustable spanner.

For even more on the subject, read (and watch) here http://www.taths.org.uk/99-new-book-the ... ron-geesin

PS: I like my Bahcos too.

Rhyolith":269s16nr said:
That lockable adjustable spanner is the short of thing I was hoping for. I am surprised that is the only such design about.

It's strange - it's SUCH an obvious idea, and both the parents (adjustable jaw, cam locking handles) have been around for 80 or more years.

And yet (AFAIK) the Stanley product is only 15 years old, and is unique (information to the contrary received with genuine interest).

I bought one the moment I first saw it at an Axminster show. I rarely need to use it, but when you need it, you need it. As soon as the stuck item turns, I use more conventional tools, of course, because they're more convenient.

BugBear

bugbear":2l6ny22a said:
How could we forget?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decker-P ... B000VWUKDE

Note; this is not a Veritas April 1 day product.

BugBear

Protective amnesia, probably.

The scary thing about Black and Decker (nowadays) is that this made it all the way from idea, through design and development, presumably right into the retail chain.

It seems that at no point did anybody question the emperor's attire (or lack of same).

Mind you, I do also remember ready-pasted vinyl wallpapers... :-0

The best adjustables I've used are by Bahco and Britool - mine have had a lot of use and some abuse which they've survived, but there are other good makes. Avoid the ones with the silly soft handgrips, because they become ragged and collect dirt. Go for ones with plain phosphate black or chrome-plated finish. It's also worth buying at least one of a size larger than you think you'll need - it's amazing how many hex heads are 1/16" larger than the maximum jaw opening your shifter can manage!

I have a pair of Maun pliers like the ones mentioned previously. They are great, and the side cutters are really, really effective. Mine came with a spring that opened the jaws after use but it was a real nuisance so I removed it. I also have a set of 3 unbranded, cheapie, slip joint wrenches which are pretty naff for any tough jobs but handy to hold round bar or remove tight lids ets. I have bent one trying to loosen a tight nut. I acquired a used Rothenberger slip joint pliers - what a difference in quality, and a pleasure to use. Cost new about £28 though, whereas my cheapies were abouf £5 for the 3 so can't expect much. I still prefer to use the correct size spanner though.

K

Eric The Viking":208f0baw said:
bugbear":208f0baw said:
How could we forget?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decker-P ... B000VWUKDE

Note; this is not a Veritas April 1 day product.

BugBear

Protective amnesia, probably.

Mind you, I do also remember ready-pasted vinyl wallpapers... :-0
Still have the song from the advert for that (or during the same historic period at least) stuck in my head:

"Super fresco goes up easy, it's by Graham and Brown".

I once did some contracting on a large petrochemical site and the only adjustable spanners you were allowed to have in your toolbox on site were Bahco. Anything else and you were sent home.

Boatfixer":1ro8brkp said:
I once did some contracting on a large petrochemical site and the only adjustable spanners you were allowed to have in your toolbox on site were Bahco. Anything else and you were sent home.

Can you remember the reason given?

I know a number of sites which insist on use of non-sparking (generally solid bronze*) tools, but have never come across requiring specific manufacturers.

*Whilst they're softer, heavier and vastly more expensive, bronze tools are very pretty.

I don't remember where it was as it is several years since I was last working in oil and gas but if I remember correctly there had been an accident on site where an adjustable had slipped and someone was injured. Initially they banned all adjustables but found this was impractical and widely ignored so they tested several makes and decided that Bahco was the one they would allow to be used. Nothing to do with Atex or non sparking, but as you know if there has been an injury then they will spend a fortune to make sure it doesn't happen again. It was an unusual instruction from the site which is the reason it has stuck in my mind.

From what I understand ,Bahco and Crescent were the first of that pattern. Old Crescents are excellent,too. Adjustables get a bad rep because the screw will back off under pressure, cheap ones much more so. They have to be tightened frequently. Inclined plane in action. Open end spanners will tend to spread as much, they just close up on their own., usually. So adjustable use get a very unfair criticism.

Got an old 10" bahco adjustable spanner at the car boot, I think I can see why people like them. Are the new ones as good does anyone know?

I've not bought a new one, but they can be "handled" in a Screwfix if you wanted to have a fiddle.

Back