Going rate for foreman

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBCarpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
What’s the going rate or annual salary for a general workshop foreman these days? Looking to take someone on and need a feel for the general salary? 30k? 35k? 40k??

any help much appreciated

Louis

£25k with bonuses for work completion on time to make sure they’re actually doing their job.

Christ ive just offered someone 33 with bonus’ and he indicated it’s not enough.

he’s a subby that’s worked for me for years at £150 a day

Great on site and at his job but never actually “run” a workshop

I’ll come do it for £150 a day, that’s almost double what most skilled employees get out here in the west :ROFLMAO:

Trev is take you here any day!

I doubt the Midlands could entice you away from the beautiful hills of wales though!

It probably depends what the bonuses are, he’s worked it out – possibly. .....£150 a day times five is £750 a week times 52 weeks a year which is 39,000 . Yes of course we all know it doesn’t work like that.

But he's a subby currently so self employed and may consider that gives him tax advantages versus employment. He's giving up flexibility and being his own boss and he's taking on extra responsibility and is low risk as he has already proved his abilities.

Thing is I have subbies starting at about £175, but thats my rate, when they price jobs off their own back they will be doing bettter.
I'd expect a good subbie to be closer to £50k a year, I certainly know a few of mine missed the handout as they earned too much in previous years.

How many men is he overseeing?

Not sure what wages are like in your area but in Cheshire £33k is roughly what supervisors (call them what you want that’s just what mine are called) get paid

As a Signals/REME/RE Sgt responsible for running a workshop with 12 Technicians the pay today would be around £38 1/ 2K and that is based on average with length of service accounted for

We are changingbusiness model to only making about 4 things. The main one being timber casements and all the machines are permanently set up - it’s just feeding through timber

I believe this is the best way forward to really start making better profit and become and bigger and better business

The only thing said foreman is required to do is ensure the smooth running of the shop and ensure timber stock is ordered. Cut lists and job sheets are provided already.

It’s actually pretty easy and anyone with even a basic knowledge of joinery could easily learn the ropes in a few weeks.

He’s a good Chippy who has worked with me for years. He works in the shop quite regularly but more on site. But he’s never ran a workshop or has experience as a foreman. I offered him the position out of obligation more than anything as he is a friend and has been with me longer than anyone.

The fact he said he wasn’t blown away by the offer and wanted more money threw me quite a bit - you have zero actual experience my friend!
Like I said there’s only 4 people currently on the shop floor (him being one of them). It’s barely a small business as it stands!

You are taking all the risk, he's getting a 10% profit share (make sure this is after tax and all of your costs) and he is getting the security and benefits of being an employee. If you think it is fair, I would be inclined to say "times are hard and that's the deal for someone who is not investing or taking any risk". If you could train others to do it, then advertise the post. Personally I would not give away profit share. I would do a capped bonus tied to satisfactory performance from him, including new business generation and excellent customer feedback.

Trev is take you here any day!

I doubt the Midlands could entice you away from the beautiful hills of wales though!

Show-me-the-money-Are-you-getting-your-fair-share-of-commission.gif

On a more serious note, you don't have to answer this question if it's a bit personal but how much work do you get done in a month usually with the five of you?

We have literally only just become 5....

Well 4 and an apprentice (although a mature apprentice)

We turn a decent log I think. Enough to keep everyone employed all year round at £150 a day, as well as make a tidy business profit at the end of each year.

we’ve been in business 10 years and it is nicely growing as one would expect. Not too fast and not too slow.

I was more after roughly how many pieces you produce in a month and whether it actually justified a foreman, no point employing a foreman if you can chop off two people's wages instead by making sensible investments in slicker manufacturing and management.

I couldn’t possibly say how many piece ms a month we simply don’t work like that currently. We do everything currently. I have a site decorating team, stairs, windows (plus installations), garage conversions, timber rot repairs etc etc etc

We’re like a joinery construction decorating site contractor thing

but it works! Probably why I’m good at multimanaging and moving the chess pieces.

But I’m now streamlining in to where I believe the most profit is. And that’s a culmination of ease of management, ease to rapidly train new staff. Quick turnaround etc.
Like I said - It really wouldn’t be hard to train virtually anyone the new system

Looking at the probable issues I would find and call/visit any other similar businesses within 50 miles to see what they do re Supervisors and of course enquire re pay and benefits. Your problem is to establish a bench mark pay rate to work from/with. This forum is unlikely to come up with such a bench mark unless already having multiple employees + supervisors.

Al

Back