Going out on my own

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Established Member
Reaction score
I've decided I'm handing in my notice in work in s few weeks and am starting my own joinery. I've spent the past 3/4 months setting the place up so I'm all set to go. For anyone who has gone out on there own I was wondering if you had any tips or advice? I have a good size workshop 120sq meters with all the machinery I need so far and about 3/4 months work to get stuck into. Appreciate any tips or advice given.
Cheers

I have been self employed for 8 years now. Key thing is get pricing right to make business sustainable. I have known a few people who have tried to become busy by undercutting competitors but then struggle to make ends meet. You also become known for being cheap and it is then hard to put prices up.

Secondly, if you are used to having work colleagues, get a good music system or something in your shop. It can be quite lonely for some used to more contact. I listen to audio books a lot of the time (although you miss large bits with machines going). I don't mind my own company but some find it hard.

Good luck

Nick

Don't be afraid to ask for money, sometimes several times.
You'd be suprised how many people only pay the most persistent and ignore the rest.

Start a pension and pay that first.

The best of British to you Monk. If you didn't have a crack at going out on your own you'd only regret it.

What exactly is your product range? "Joinery" covers a pretty wide area.

Sorry should have said, bulk of the work is solid kitchens. Really looking forward to getting started now . Scary move but gotta give it my best shot

Under promise and over deliver.
Get your pricing right, as has been said it is easy to be very busy and broke.
Good luck

Where are you getting your work from? 3-4 months of work lined up is very good for a start up.

I would like to second Logger's comments especially working on your own. You may be fine with but if not mixing in some site work to get you out of the workshop as it's four walls can be quite claustrophobic at times. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

p.s Kitchens seems like a good place to start.

Thanks for the replys, yea working alone will defo be tough as I'm use to working with a team of lads but hope to be in a position to take on an apprentice .
Regarding the 3/4 months work , I've 3 kitchens ordered and I have some of my own pieces in a show room which I have orders for. Really enjoy making kitchens, on my own one kitchen will prob take 2 weeks to make on my own the 2/3 days to fit which will get e out of the workshop for a few days.

Written quotes, written contracts and ask for a deposit

Amen to that; even if you only hand-write a quick note on your letter-head -- dated of course :).

Good luck

When i got made redundant from the caravan construction industry, i thought to myself, sod this, i'm going it alone and i'm still at it 25 years later. I've done lots of different stuff and sub contracted to a couple of firms on a more or less permanent basis for spells. This year i got the opportunity to take over from someone who is retiring and had a regular order for one particular item, which i now make and i work exclusively in my garden workshop. It can be a bit log cabin fever-like but i start and stop when i want and some days i just do nowt much at all. It's great and highly recommended if you can keep the work coming in. Good luck to you.

Clear terms and conditions, clear, full specification, detailed quote.

2 copies of contract with t&cs attached, keep one copy.

Do working drawings and get them signed.

Have an order variation sheet for extras. When you are asked for extras, provide a price straight away and get it agreed in writing.

Dont let customers change your payment terms, if you want 50% then make sure you get it.

Issue a guarantee -this will protect you as without one you will find yourself liable for all potential future problems trivial or not.

Unfortunately, you will discover doing the making will be the easy bit :D

Above all enjoy youself

Cash flow. A high proportion of small businesses which are theoretically viable fail because they run out of cash and can't pay suppliers (or the mortgage). This means invoicing soon after the end of the job and chasing up late payers. For large jobs, stage payments.

The other thing to consider when pricing and estimating completion is that far less than 100% of your time is spent doing the actual making part of the job. Design, accounting, invoicing, marketing, discussing with potential clients, ordering and collecting supplies - all these have to be funded, along with equipment, premises if you have them, training if you need it, etc.

And finally (speaking as a lawyer by trade) you want a clear, agreed statement about the scope of the work. Changes cost and need to be charged for, so explain the estimated cost of changes in advance and get agreement to that. In the work I've done on procuring high value computer systems the big arguments were always about this, agreed in an informal discussion and never written down. I wouldn't get anal about formal contracts though - a simple exchange of emails can be contract enough if it's clear. In essence, what you're going to do, for how much, by when, and when you must be paid.

Good luck, 3 months work in hand is a good start.

Good luck Monk

When you say 2 weeks to make and 2-3days to fit, it all sounds to easy.

I have been working for myself for nearly 20 years now a lot of that time on my own and from experience you will find that things will take a lot longer when you are on your own.

Firstly you won't have you mate at the next bench to just hold this or give you a lift, but the main thing is the phone will ring, someone will want to come and see you, something will break and there is only you to fix it etc.

As someone else said under promise and over deliver, remember when you work for someone else, you are not doing the day to admin stuff, a lot of which you can't do at night.

I am sure that others like Doctor Bob will tell you it does not get easier even with employees, just the challenges change.

But again good luck and if you don't try you will only think what if down the road, don't be ashamed if it does not work and you go back to employment you won't be the first or last.

Back