gluing after lacquering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unib

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of gluing up after lacquering...

I'm developing a new product that will be made from 6mm birch ply. My usual finishing/gluing procedure would be to mask off the areas that will have adhesive on them and then lacquer. With this product it would be ideal if I didn't have to mask off all the mating surfaces as it'll add an age to production time, and masking 6mm rebates isn't going to be easy! So I was wondering... would something like a cyanoacrylate adhesive happily work on a lacquered surface (Acid Cat).

I know the easy way to find out is to try it but I'm worried that in might work initially and then fail after time.

Unib":2fr1jmht said:
So I was wondering... would something like a cyanoacrylate adhesive happily work on a lacquered surface (Acid Cat).
No. What about lacquering first, then executing the joinery, then gluing up the job? Or ... could you buy pre-lacquered board, then do the joinery, etc? Slainte.

Thanks for the quick reply - I can't do that, most of the parts are getting CNCed ready for me to sand, finish and assemble.

How much extra would it cost to add laquer to the entire sheet stock that is being CNC'd in comparison to production time lost? If I can assume the sheets are being CNC'd with as little waste as possible, can you prefinish the entire sheet stock first? Does it leave a horribly raggy edge to the cut, or could that be a consequence of the raw wood which is more prone to splintering than one laquered as that will consolidate the fibres and might even produce a cleaner cut if you used a thinner than normal mix that absorbs rather than sits on the surface.

Sanding and spraying sheet stock would be heaps faster and the time saved should offset the added cost of wastage if the assembled product has no thick edges exposed by the cuts but not used in the assembly, and requires additional considerations for finishing - such as accessability to certain faces; for example I always find spraying boxes a PITA as it always takes 2 days to do - the base bottom first side up - then rest on the base while I do the rest - and yes tried a bed of nails and I always get marks, and I'm too OCD for marks.

Depending on the finished item and shapes, I'd seriously look at prefinishing to 1st level - cut and assemble - then give another light final finish after to catch any exposed edges (if there are any).

On New Yankee workshop I've seen Norm wax lyrical repeatedly on the merits and ease of using bought prefinished sheet stock.

Latest posts

Back